Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
So, the LumaFusion storage on a Mac can be found in the 'On My Mac' location, and more precisely located in the Library/Containers/LumaFusion/Data folder.
Has anyone found a way to relocate this folder to a different location (external drive) so that when LumaFusion opens up it will not simply create a new empty one?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
Is that ~/Library/Containers/LumaFusion/Data ?

You can try if it works when you replace the Data-folder with a Finder alias or a soft link via the terminal.

Reactions: Wando64

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
I received a reply from LumaFusion as follows:
"The desired workflow of using the LumaFusion folder directly from an external drive is not possible at this time. To ensure smooth working order of your LumaFusion app, I suggest not altering this folder in any way, as well as having it remain local to your Mac."

Reactions: JW5566

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
That's a shame - working on video on an external drive is pretty important for those of us with bigger files and smaller internal drives! It also ensures projects are fully independent and can be moved between machines.

How are you finding Lumafusion apart from that?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2013
That's a shame - working on video on an external drive is pretty important for those of us with bigger files and smaller internal drives! It also ensures projects are fully independent and can be moved between machines.

How are you finding Lumafusion apart from that?

You can still work using an external drive. So all the big video files are stored externally, but the project itself is created on to the local drive, so if you want to keep a copy of that together with the video files, you will need to manually export it to it.

The exported project package can be saved with all of the video files (for future editing) or with just the trimmed portions of them (if you only plan to do minor adjustments), so projects can be moved between machines.

Either way, I think it would have been neater if I could have relocated the entire LF directory to my movies SSD, in the same way as I do with iMovie and other editing software.

I love LF on the iPad and I have been using it extensively for some time now.
As I now have an M1 Mac, I am exploring the best way to work with LF on it, including the best way to share projects with the iPad without creating too much duplication.

JW5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2021
Understood - thanks for the clarification. I like the look of the app, I use FCP on a MacBook but like the idea of LF to edit projects on a touchscreen iPad. Basically I am looking for an excuse to buy a new iPad 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.