Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KristenS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2021
Florida
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm just so chuffed that this worked I wanted to share it with y'all.

I made the mistake of buying an M1 iMac without researching whether it would support Target Display Mode and of course it does not. I spent an hour on the phone with three different Apple techs, one who sent me a link to the support article about how to use TDM 🤦‍♀️, one who thought I could use Sidecar :rolleyes: and one who told me that even if I bought monitors instead of trying to use old iMacs as displays, the M1 iMac *cannot* support two external displays 🤬.

This was pretty irritating because I have a three-screen workflow I do not want to give up. (My previous setup was a 2019 iMac, a 2012 iMac in TDM, and a VGA monitor). Support techs at Luna Display and Duet each confirmed that their solution would only support one other iMac as a display.

Well I tried both of them together, and was able to get each of them using a different iMac as a display, so both of my old iMacs are working as monitors now. 🎉 There is latency, more on the Duet than on the Luna. I'm okay with it. I have yet to see if this will remain stable through a whole workday, but so far it's working well even when I use the Zoom feature (screen enlarger, not videoconference). Which I do often. My poor vision is one of the reasons I want three big screens.

I hope this helps somebody else!

Luna.jpg Duet.jpg Retina.jpg

Nauty86

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2021
IS IT POSSIBLE TO USE BOTH iMacs but instead o the center M1 Mac a WIndows based PC ( due to work reasons ) ???

DookSucks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2019
NC
Longtime lurker, first time poster. I'm just so chuffed that this worked I wanted to share it with y'all.

I made the mistake of buying an M1 iMac without researching whether it would support Target Display Mode and of course it does not. I spent an hour on the phone with three different Apple techs, one who sent me a link to the support article about how to use TDM ?‍♀️, one who thought I could use Sidecar :rolleyes: and one who told me that even if I bought monitors instead of trying to use old iMacs as displays, the M1 iMac *cannot* support two external displays ?.

This was pretty irritating because I have a three-screen workflow I do not want to give up. (My previous setup was a 2019 iMac, a 2012 iMac in TDM, and a VGA monitor). Support techs at Luna Display and Duet each confirmed that their solution would only support one other iMac as a display.

Well I tried both of them together, and was able to get each of them using a different iMac as a display, so both of my old iMacs are working as monitors now. ? There is latency, more on the Duet than on the Luna. I'm okay with it. I have yet to see if this will remain stable through a whole workday, but so far it's working well even when I use the Zoom feature (screen enlarger, not videoconference). Which I do often. My poor vision is one of the reasons I want three big screens.

View attachment 1929185 View attachment 1929183 View attachment 1929184
Are you using Duet Air? How do you have the Duet iMac connected? How is the Luna iMac connected?

KristenS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2021
Florida
Are you using Duet Air? How do you have the Duet iMac connected? How is the Luna iMac connected?
I'm using Duet Display, not Duet Air. The Duet iMac is connected by Wi-Fi. The Luna iMac is plugged into a Thunderbolt *and* the Luna dongle takes up a Thunderbolt port, so that's two ports for one display. (Luna is supposed to be able to connect via Wi-Fi but I haven't been able to get that to work.) It's not an idea setup, but it was within my budget.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
You can hookup as many additional Macs as you want to using Airplay to Mac, BetterDisplay or FluffyDisplay. You don't have to buy anything either.

Dkelly811

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2017

I made the mistake of buying an M1 iMac without researching whether it would support Target Display Mode and of course it does not. I spent an hour on the phone with three different Apple techs, one who sent me a link to the support article about how to use TDM 🤦‍♀️, one who thought I could use Sidecar :rolleyes: and one who told me that even if I bought monitors instead of trying to use old iMacs as displays, the M1 iMac *cannot* support two external displays 🤬.

Well I tried both of them together, and was able to get each of them using a different iMac as a display, so both of my old iMacs are working as monitors now. 🎉 There is latency, more on the Duet than on the Luna. I'm okay with it. I have yet to see if this will remain stable through a whole workday, but so far it's working well even when I use the Zoom feature (screen enlarger, not videoconference). Which I do often. My poor vision is one of the reasons I want three big screens.

View attachment 1929185 View attachment 1929183 View attachment 1929184
I have a MacBook Pro with 2 Studio Displays M1 Pro model. I want a third display but the M1 Pro only support 2 external displays. Can I use Luna or Duet with my wife’s m1 iMac as a third screen for my m1 pro MacBook Pro or is that not possible because of the two screen limitation.

KristenS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2021
Florida
I have a MacBook Pro with 2 Studio Displays M1 Pro model. I want a third display but the M1 Pro only support 2 external displays. Can I use Luna or Duet with my wife’s m1 iMac as a third screen for my m1 pro MacBook Pro or is that not possible because of the two screen limitation.
I was able to get Luna to work despite the screen limitation, but I haven't tried it with a MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.