Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I know the Pico remotes are not exposed to HomeKit but can anyone advise if the plug in lamp dimmer gets exposed to HomeKit? The box the plugs into the wall and the lamp plugs into the box. Thank you.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Beautiful. Thank you much for the reply. Wasn’t sure because the Pico is not and I couldn’t find a clear answer on the web.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Well there isn’t a reason for the remote to connect to HomeKit. It just controls something. It makes more sense to have HomeKit control the something rather than the remote that controls the something.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Well there isn’t a reason for the remote to connect to HomeKit. It just controls something. It makes more sense to have HomeKit control the something rather than the remote that controls the something.
Absolutely. Totally agree... But if the Pico was exposed to be able to use the center button for a scene (I know about the workaround) or even as a wireless remote like the Hue dimmer would be cool. I mean, it’s no different than the Hue dimmer other than not having the ability to assign the buttons in HomeKit. Same type of device.

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
Absolutely. Totally agree... But if the Pico was exposed to be able to use the center button for a scene (I know about the workaround) or even as a wireless remote like the Hue dimmer would be cool. I mean, it’s no different than the Hue dimmer other than not having the ability to assign the buttons in HomeKit. Same type of device.

Workaround? Can you share? I have a few picos sitting in a drawer doing nothing. I wouldn’t mind putting them to use.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Workaround? Can you share? I have a few picos sitting in a drawer doing nothing. I wouldn’t mind putting them to use.
This guy can definitely explain it better which is where I got it from lol. I highly recommend following him on YouTube. Puts out fantastic HomeKit related content every Sunday.

Reactions: Debauch

Debauch

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
Thank you. Just subscribed.

Edit: just watched the video. That’s really slick!

Last edited:

iBague

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
I have a Caseta Dimmer and it works GREAT with HomeKit. I have different scenes with varying brightness and we use them all the time. I even have one called Nightlight but it won’t dim down very low but low enough so we can leave it on and you can see enough to get around. The Lutron works WAY better than the Wemo, we won’t be buying any more of those, too finicky

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I have a Caseta Dimmer and it works GREAT with HomeKit. I have different scenes with varying brightness and we use them all the time. I even have one called Nightlight but it won’t dim down very low but low enough so we can leave it on and you can see enough to get around. The Lutron works WAY better than the Wemo, we won’t be buying any more of those, too finicky
Yeah, I used to use the Leviton Decora but they drop from WiFi way too often so I’m done with them. I’m happy with the Lutron system so far. Just wish the hub allowed more than 75 devices. If I outfit my whole house, which I plan on doing, I’ll be over the limit. Hope two Hubs can be stitched together by HomeKit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.