Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello,

I would like to add a motion detector in a few of the rooms I have, however I want to know if anybody has used the above items and if so how did it work for you? Was there a lag or delay with the lights going on and off?

Thanks

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Hello,

I would like to add a motion detector in a few of the rooms I have, however I want to know if anybody has used the above items and if so how did it work for you? Was there a lag or delay with the lights going on and off?

Thanks
I use Lutron and it has been some of the most reliable Homekit products so far. They don't offer directly a motion sensor that I am aware of but if you find one from another brand you can use Homekit automation to trigger a light or fan. I don't use it but I have tested turning lights on with my Ecobee room sensors and it works.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I use Lutron and it has been some of the most reliable Homekit products so far. They don't offer directly a motion sensor that I am aware of but if you find one from another brand you can use Homekit automation to trigger a light or fan. I don't use it but I have tested turning lights on with my Ecobee room sensors and it works.

I currently have Lutron and Ecobee, I did not know the sensor from Ecobee can be used to do this. Do you happen to have a step-by-step on this? This would save me from having to invest in another hub and their sensors.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I currently have Lutron and Ecobee, I did not know the sensor from Ecobee can be used to do this. Do you happen to have a step-by-step on this? This would save me from having to invest in another hub and their sensors.
In the home app, automations, add new automation, a sensor detects something. The sensor is ecobee and the something is a light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.