Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
If you intend on shooting in ProRes Log this is welcome news. Mentioned in the Peta Pixel article.

Great time saver for a newbie/amateur editor like me.

Edit: Official LUT Available on Apple's Developer site:

But, it doesn't play well with BlackMagic's camera app. The author of this video has made usable LUTS for that:

Last edited:

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
But then one has to wonder why a "newbie/amateur editor" is even shooting in ProRes of all things to begin with?

🤨
Because I want to learn?

Edit: What would be the downside for using ProRes? Genuinely curious. File size isn't a problem for me and I'm sure my M2 Max laptop can handle it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KurtWilde

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Because I want to learn?

You don't need 10x the amount of data to learn. Nothing about this—i.e. LOG and/or LUTs—is in any way unique to ProRes let alone the iPhone.

but if you shoot in Log and then use Apple LUTs, why even shoot in log in the first place?

If you understand what recording LOG means and what LUTs are for, then it makes perfect sense. For some, but not everyone! Nothing that can be usefully explained in just a few sentences. But common sense will tell you that if it were nonsense or useless or contradictory, Apple would hardly implement it nor would the pro fraction of shooters be abuzz over it, no?

Short version: shooting LOG without an appropriate and correct LUT is much more nonsensical, not the other way around. And yet, yes, it is still done all the time, I know, and is fine if you know what you're doing otherwise. That's what this age of post-/production brings with it. People pick up random snippets, terminology, and techniques that sound cool and "pro" without understanding even the first thing about what comes before it or why or what it is, etc. Along the lines of "if I do/say/use this I'll be 'pro'".

I'd like to be able to adjust the exposure with as much data as I can.

That has little to nothing to do with this. As far as that's concerned you're on 100% equal footing whether you shoot ProRes or HEVC in LOG. This is about dynamic rage, your exposure is baked in no matter what. So I'd say you're trying to start somewhere randomly at the top of the chain without having understood the very bottom and everything in between first. I would reconsider, if you in fact want to learn something.

Last edited:
  • Sad

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2018
You don't need 10x the amount of data to learn. Nothing about this—i.e. LOG and/or LUTs—is in any way unique to ProRes let alone the iPhone.
I don't need it? Why? Do I need to be a pro to handle that much data? Is it wasted? Again what's the downside for me? And if the codec isn't unique to any of this what's the problem if a newbie like me wants to shoot in ProRes?

I'm not seeing a problem here other than you telling me I shouldn't be shooting in ProRes because I presented myself as an amateur. Should I stick to iMovie as an editor because I can't possibly learn all of Davinci Resolve's features?

Anything else you'd like to say to put amateurs like me in their place? Elitist.

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
You might want to start by working on your reading comprehension and not implying I "told" you to do or not do anything, because I didn't. After that… do whatever you want. I couldn't care less at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.