Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Thanks for the suggestions, so the speed of these too are faster than your trebleet enclosure? So as i understand they do not need extra power supply to work, is that correct? And sorry to insist, but do you know if they support dual boot option (for mac os and Windows)? It is important for me to know. Will those speeds are better that the speeds on an internal ssd on the same imac mid 2011 27"?
I am not sure about Boot Camp, If I had to guess I would say it probably works fine but I have never tried it. Its def not faster than a NVMe enclosure or an internal SSD, but it is way easier than taking apart my 2013 iMac. A 2011 27" isn't too terrible to take apart, but booting SATA native vs using an enclosure is not much faster. Internal drive with an SSD would probably be around 400 R/W and one of the enclosures I posted gets about 300ish.

Reactions: ThanosDJ

ThanosDJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
I am not sure about Boot Camp, If I had to guess I would say it probably works fine but I have never tried it. Its def not faster than a NVMe enclosure or an internal SSD, but it is way easier than taking apart my 2013 iMac. A 2011 27" isn't too terrible to take apart, but booting SATA native vs using an enclosure is not much faster. Internal drive with an SSD would probably be around 400 R/W and one of the enclosures I posted gets about 300ish.
I have already an ssd inside my imac but i am trying to get an enclosure or a docking station or an external thunderbolt disk (like the ones that you have suggested) in order to get an extra disk. But i want to check if its possible to boot from one of that thunderbolt external options to MacOs and Windows too. Importnt like i said that Windows boot option.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I have already an ssd inside my imac but i am trying to get an enclosure or a docking station or an external thunderbolt disk (like the ones that you have suggested) in order to get an extra disk. But i want to check if its possible to boot from one of that thunderbolt external options to MacOs and Windows too. Importnt like i said that Windows boot option.
I have always been one to just try it and see if it works.. Good Luck!

Reactions: ThanosDJ

ThanosDJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
I have always been one to just try it and see if it works.. Good Luck!
So in your opinion the cheapest option is to buy one of that external thunderbolt drives and check if it has the ability to boot in MacOs and Windows?

ThanosDJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
Its what I would do, but that's me lol.
Nice. So i am thinking to buy the Lacie rugged embedded thunderbolt cable and a type c port wth 2tb and the open the enclosure and place an ssd inside. Do you believe that if i make this change i could get better trasfer speeds (R/W)? Cause i saw that if you buy the disk with an hdd inside the speeds are almost 110mb/s but if you buy the disk with ssd inside you get speeds around 500mb/s. But if you also buy the Lacie rugged thunderbolt with the 1tb ssd installed the port is not type c but micro usb, so you can have slower speeds than the type c. Am i correct?

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Nice. So i am thinking to buy the Lacie rugged embedded thunderbolt cable and a type c port wth 2tb and the open the enclosure and place an ssd inside. Do you believe that if i make this change i could get better trasfer speeds (R/W)? Cause i saw that if you buy the disk with an hdd inside the speeds are almost 110mb/s but if you buy the disk with ssd inside you get speeds around 500mb/s. But if you also buy the Lacie rugged thunderbolt with the 1tb ssd installed the port is not type c but micro usb, so you can have slower speeds than the type c. Am i correct?
If you have a 2011 27" and you're trying to connect via TB I don't think the USB C will work, I would buy one with a TB1/2 cable and then do a drive swap. Mine gets about 300 R/Ws with a 512 Sata SSD inside.

ThanosDJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
If you have a 2011 27" and you're trying to connect via TB I don't think the USB C will work, I would buy one with a TB1/2 cable and then do a drive swap. Mine gets about 300 R/Ws with a 512 Sata SSD inside.
But i am planning to connect the Lacie with my imac via the integrated thunderbolt cable of Lacie straight to the thunderbolt port of the imac, not via usb c (this imac doesnt have this port). Will this work?

ThanosDJ

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2023
This is why I thought you were trying to use a USB C cable.
I want to buy this one with the type c port for future connections or use it in a Windows pc with a type c port. But like i said the main connection will be via thunderbolt. So will it work straight? Or it will require the thunderbolt3/2 adapter? Or it also require extra power supply?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.