Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
Hi,
this week-end, I installed an additional PCI e card with a M.2 SSD nvme in my Mac Pro, and I had the flash amber : the mac Pro didn't start.
on the apple support website I read this :
"If your Mac Pro doesn't start up and the status indicator light flashes amber twice after installing a PCIe card, the card might not be compatible with your Mac Pro or you might have too many 32-bit PCIe cards installed.
If you recently installed one or multiple PCIe cards, remove each card one at a time and try turning on your Mac Pro after each card removal. "
I know the card is compatible because I had the same inside, and with only one the mac pro starts, so I would like to know if this is the "too many 32-bit PCIe cards installed" issue or something else.
the card is the sabrent https://sabrent.com/products/ec-pcie
there is no controller, the two cards are ok, but impossible to start with two.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Which slots are you using when you have both cards installed? Do you have any Thunderbolt devices connected to your MP? W/out the second card installed, have you checked your avail PCIe bandwidth using Expansion Slot Utility?

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
I tried on slots 5, 6, 7
thunderbolt is used for Screen, but when I tried, It was only connected to hdmi
I checked the Expansion slot utility but the nvidia is not seen in Mac OS, and if I remember well, slots 1 and 3 are CPU pcie lanes, and the others are PCIe Switch, but this card is only pcie X4

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Share screenshot of Expansion Slot Utility w/out second card installed. Nvidia in Slot 3? Have you tried manual reallocation of the pools?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.