Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I can buy one of these right now. Which one would you choose? I do light video editing, use a lot of Word, web surfing and not much more.

The M1 offer is very tempting, since the M3 512GB is almost 2000$ where I live.

The M1 is "refurbished" at a local retailer, but it's unopened. Only the packaging is not new.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Major price difference. Do they both have the same amount of RAM? If so, then the M1/512 is the clear choice in my opinion
Yes, same RAM.

For video editing, will I notice a big difference? On other day to day tasks I'm sure I won't notice much difference, if any at all.

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
I like to estimate the monthly cost in these kind of situations. Basically divide the up front cost with the number of months the Mac will be used, before it gets obsolete or replaced. Keep in mind that the M3 is 2.5 years newer than M1, so likely you will get a lot more use out of it before it becomes obsolete. Also M3 is significantly faster. The risk of buying old stuff is that you need to go and buy something else again soon.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
To repeat what someone else wrote, who did the "refurbish"?

If it was Apple, then good. Otherwise I'd be wary.

Apple refurbished good come in Apple boxes, just plain white Apple boxes, but clearly it has Apple on it.
The box is slightly damaged, but is unopened. The local retailer calls it "refurbished" but it's not.

I decided to buy the M3 because I need the extra power for future proofing.

Reactions: picpicmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.