Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I am getting a new 16-inch Macbook Pro from work and I can either pick an M1 with 64GB of RAM 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency) cores or an M2 with 32GB 12 (8 performance and 4 efficiency). I work with Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Blender and After Effects.
The M2 has 1TB of storage and the M1 has 2TB.

How much of a difference will the updated processor in the M2 make considering it only has 32GB of RAM? Which would you pick?

Thanks.

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
For me, the most significant consideration is the cost of each option. If the price difference isn't significant, I'd opt for the M2, even if it means sacrificing some RAM. However, if the price gap is substantial, I'd choose the M1. Ultimately, it comes down to a personal choice between speed and the ability to smoothly handle processing-intensive tasks, along with speed.

Reactions: kat.hayes

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
For me, the most significant consideration is the cost of each option. If the price difference isn't significant, I'd opt for the M2, even if it means sacrificing some RAM. However, if the price gap is substantial, I'd choose the M1. Ultimately, it comes down to a personal choice between speed and the ability to smoothly handle processing-intensive tasks, along with speed.
The company already owns both Macs, I just need to decide which to take...

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
The difference in computing power between the M1 and the M2 was somewhat marginal / incremental. I don't think you'll really notice the difference. Given the M1 has twice the memory (64gb vs 32gb) and twice the storage (2TB vs 1TB), I would go with the M1.

Egk

macrumors member
May 7, 2014
RAM and storage wins in this case, literally twice as much and the CPU difference is not that much. You'll have much more performance when doing RAM-heavy loads than additional CPU power from efficiency cores.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
How much of a difference will the updated processor in the M2 make considering it only has 32GB of RAM? Which would you pick?
If you think 32GB and 1TB would be enough for you, go for the M2.
It's a little better. ;)
I think if you really needed 64GB of ram, you wouldn't have to ask.

brerlappin

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2012
Since you're using a lot of Adobe apps, I would go with M1 Max w/64GB and 2TB. You won't be disappointed.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
The company already owns both Macs, I just need to decide which to take...

In that case, why not testing both of them and see which one perform better for your needs, and if you cant, take the option with more RAM and bigger storage.

Last edited:

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
I would take the M1 with the extra RAM any day of the week with all the Adobe apps you are using. M2 is a marginal upgrade over M1.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
With all that Adobe software, I imagine you'd benefit more from increased RAM (and storage) than from the slight performance boost the M2 offers. 🤔

(especially if, for some reason, you decide to run multiple Adobe programs at once! :p)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.