Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rttwe4444

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2023
Few days ago, the keyboard and trackpad of my M1 Air die after closing the lid or sleep. It function only when restarting the Mac.
I had even factory reset it and still encountering the problem which means it is not software related.

As the warranty was expired, the apple technician told me either spending approx. 600 USD trying to replace the motherboard or trade it.
This is super frustrating as I search for solution, quite a lot of posts claiming the same issue meaning this issue is not individual and should be device based.

Good luck with your Mac and BIG F to apple.

Reactions: adeab12

Nahtesroh

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2023
I have this same problem exactly and it's so annoying. Unfortunately don't have the money to get a replacement so if anyone has any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nahtesroh

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2023
Does it work using an external keyboard & mouse? It is clunky but perhaps functional for the short term?
Yes it does for now but that’s really not something I like to have to do. I do lots of music live with my laptop and litterally just need it to sit there and not malfunction :(((

kleetsjen

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2020
Few days ago, the keyboard and trackpad of my M1 Air die after closing the lid or sleep. It function only when restarting the Mac.
I had even factory reset it and still encountering the problem which means it is not software related.

As the warranty was expired, the apple technician told me either spending approx. 600 USD trying to replace the motherboard or trade it.
This is super frustrating as I search for solution, quite a lot of posts claiming the same issue meaning this issue is not individual and should be device based.

OP, did you get this fixed? What was the outcome? Mine has started doing this. I wiped the HD and went back from Sonoma to Ventura. Same problem, so obviously hardware.

kleetsjen

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2020
Well, in case anyone comes by asking the same thing, I took mine to the Apple Genius who sent it away for repair. It came back with a new logic board, new trackpad and a new Touch ID. And no water damage, so didn't cost a penny...

adeab12

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
sure very true, I have the exact same thing, how do I solve this?

View attachment 2222405

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.