Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mm230

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2014
Has anyone else experienced random color shifts or system crashes when using Apple's USB-C to Digital AV adapter (MUF82AM/A) with the base model M1 Macbook Air?

Sometimes when waking the computer from sleep it shifts the colors on the external monitor or just crashes and restarts the Air. Having a power cable or something plugged into the USB-A port don't affect it. The only constant has been having an external monitor attached via HDMI cable.

Has anyone else experienced this? If it worked it would be great, but it's useless if it occasionally trashes the screen or corrupts data.

Thanks!

abhi182

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2016
I have experienced screen colour shift on the external monitor with the same adapter model and so have many others - esp after resume from sleep if left connected.
A replugging of the port (or restarting the monitor) fixes it without fail. Seems like a software glitch with sleep/resume and I hope it gets fixed soon - but it is not a major issue/ deal-breaker for me.

I have not heard of any system crashes on account of this though - that would be a major problem if it were to happen to me.

Edit: I just recalled that I had initially faced some kind of display issues on sleep / resume on the internal display also (display scaling would go wonky - text would be get very large and the screen would render only a part of what is expected)
When this occurred, a restart would be the only way to fix it.
The problem turned out to be the HDMI cable which was a spare old one and couldn't properly handle4K output at 60hz. Replacing that eliminated said problem - although the external display problem still occurs intermittently (but does not require restart etc to resolve)

heshnote

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2021
I just recently had the same issue with my product, although it was a warehouse product from Amazon, awaiting a brand new product from Apple to see if any problem still occurs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.