Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Can someone explain it to me because I just don’t get it. There are people (on this forum) who own M1 or M2 iPad Pro and are eagerly waiting for new M3 iPad Pro. What kind of stuff are you doing with your M1 or M2 iPad Pro that you need even more processing power? Not a rhetorical question.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
My M2 iPad Pro 12.9 is more than fast enough for the stuff I do. I do not gaming but do work over some images often. I will be sticking with my current iPads and wait. OLED and the M3 will be nice but not enough for me to leave what I
have now, especially at what the M3 OLED will cost. I will,save my money for the 16 ProMax.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Can someone explain it to me because I just don’t get it. There are people (on this forum) who own M1 or M2 iPad Pro and are eagerly waiting for new M3 iPad Pro. What kind of stuff are you doing with your M1 or M2 iPad Pro that you need even more processing power? Not a rhetorical question.

Might be worth checking when you see that claim surface? I just read earlier from a user who’s really just hoping for a little less heat in multitasking when working with a second screen, as an example.
Personally, I’m happy with the power of the M1 so far.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
This has been a MacRumors classic. People routinely call older devices slow, and it’s just the impact of updates.

People call the A9X slow, and it certainly isn’t, it just got bogged down by iOS updates. The A5X was lacking in power. The A8 in combination with 1GM of RAM was a little lacklustre. Everything else was obliterated by updates, but it wasn’t slow by itself.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Hardly anyone cares about the speed difference from M1 and M2. Screen and other improvements are more important.

Concerning older devices the bottleneck was never speed for the iPad pro, but lack of RAM.
Sure the almost 10 year old A9X is not particularly fast, it's just a dual core, but the A10X is still very fast even on iPadOS 17 (faster than A9X ever was by the way).
The bottleneck of A10X and especially the (faster) A12X is 4GB RAM. Which harldy impacts speed, but impacts usability.
And probably even more importantly battery life degradation, regardly of whether it's to battery wear or to updates (since most people update their devices anyway to the latest OS).
That's why people upgrade, not speed.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I have A10X and that is still fast enough for me.
Aren't most upgraders just looking forward to OLED and landscape camera placement?
I’m still rocking an A12Z in iPP 11” 2020 and the OLED is the only thing that would make me upgrade. However, with all this talk of the M4 coming soon, I may **try** to skip this iPP generation and wait for the next version. A12Z still plenty strong 💪 with great battery life. 🔋

Curiously, the thing that dissuades me from upgrading the most: having to buy a new Magic Keyboard. If Apple makes these iPads backwards compatible with the old Magic Keyboards, I will throw them my money. 💰

Matcha

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2021
It’s plenty of fast I think most of us are more interested in the display upgrades and camera placement, quality of life stuff

Reactions: Tagbert

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
It’s not about the CPU - the M1 is far more than I need. It’s the OLED screen, landscape camera, new Apple Pencil, etc that I’m interested in. And fixing my stupid mistake of not getting a cellular version that has GPS. My wife wants to downsize her 12, and dump the horrible screen with the terrible blooming. We both plan on getting the new Magic Keyboard - I’m using a Logitech now, but it’s…meh. Have another family member that wants to use a new 12 as a Wacom cintiq replacement. So lots of different reasons, none of which have anything to do with the CPU….that’s just gravy.

The open question though is what new iPadOS features will be announced in June that require the M3, and if they’re anything more than a gimmick. A Siri that actually works (and works offline) would be nice for example.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I can’t believe they ever put the M chips in the iPad. They’re so fast. It seems like such wasted power. I wish I could run macOS

Reactions: Stenik

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
My M1 iPad Pro, I treat it as a mini-TV for everything and for web browsing when at work. Otherwise, I am perfectly content with the 2021 model. I don’t use FaceTime, so a landscape orientated camera system would not matter. iPadOS is still underutilized for the functionality.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
My M1 iPad Pro is super fast, has an excellent display and does everything I need it to do with excellence. I’ll only consider the new iPad Pro if it is lighter and thinner while maintaining battery life.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
If OLED was important, people could have switched to Samsung, therefore it isn't an important feature.
It's hard for me to imagine that a user within the Apple ecosystem would switch to an Android tablet solely for the OLED display. It’s possible I guess, but then clearly the display is of very high priority for that user, and the ecosystem or operating system doesn't matter much.

Boing123

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2024
Screen M3 more betterer… must haz it

Lukomaldini

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
My M1 iPad Pro still feels brand new (if I scrub my toddlers finger marks from it!) I wouldn’t think it’s almost 3 years old. I think the M1 was the right choice. I’ll probably upgrade it in 3/4 years time, the same upgrade schedule as my MacBook! That’s what I want from Apple

Reactions: Aggamemnon
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.