Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I put together an external drive for my M1 MBA base model (8GB RAM, 256GB Internal Drive).

The external drive is a Samsung 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe SSD.

The enclosure is an ORICO USB4.0 M2 NVMe SSD Enclosure 40Gbps PCIe3.0x4

The cable is an ORICO PD Cable for Thunderbolt 4 Video 8K 60Hz 40Gbps Data Transfer 100W 5A

The performance of the drive is disappointing:

DiskSpeedTest.png

Especially compared to the internal SSD which I expected to be much slower:

DiskSpeedTest Internal.png

Performance on a 2019 Intel iMac is about the same.

What have I done wrong here, or is that the best I can expect?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So many factors can contribute to apparently low write speed of your external drive. Is the NAND flash in good quality? Is the controller good? How does base model MacBook Air allocate resources for external drive? Can cable really sustain high r/w speed? It’s hard to tell really.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
So many factors can contribute to apparently low write speed of your external drive. Is the NAND flash in good quality? Is the controller good? How does base model MacBook Air allocate resources for external drive? Can cable really sustain high r/w speed? It’s hard to tell really.
How would I know the answers to any of those questions?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Trial and error with different enclosures, cables, etc. Or research the performance of specific drives in specific enclosures with MBA as host system on the web.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
How would I know the answers to any of those questions?
Like Bigwaff says, trial and error, also check similar config online and see if anything similar appear and if so what’s the result.
Truth is, slow transfer speed can be manifested in so many different ways it is difficult for others to tell straightaway the potential cause, unless someone has the same setup as yours.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I've tried three different Thunderbolt cables with the same result. That particular Samsung drive and Orico enclosure were recommended as an external boot drive for a M2 Mac mini to improve performance. In that environment BlackMagic read and write speeds were both about 2700 MB/s.

Perhaps it's an M1 Problem. And, yes, there are reports of slow read/write speeds with external drives on M1 based Macs.

Video here:

Reactions: jdb8167

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
I've tried three different Thunderbolt cables with the same result. That particular Samsung drive and Orico enclosure were recommended as an external boot drive for a M2 Mac mini to improve performance. In that environment BlackMagic read and write speeds were both about 2700 MB/s.

Perhaps it's an M1 Problem. And, yes, there are reports of slow read/write speeds with external drives on M1 based Macs.

Video here:
Interesting video. I think it shows some of the reasoning for Apple using its own internal SSD controller in the SoC instead of supporting SSDs using an M.2 NVME connection. There is clearly some magic happening in the SoC when hitting a lot of swap usage. If Apple had to rely on the controller on an M.2 SSD performance could suffer.

Reactions: Buadhai

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
My MacBook air M1 can't read several great SSD external drives that the mac mini can.

HUH?
then i realized the suppliers usb c chord was not efficient enough.

and MacBooks where known never to have reliable usb ports, well during the 2000's.

the solution is to

GET
A
MAC
MINI
m sereis

or an external hub that outputs more uumph!

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Interesting video. I think it shows some of the reasoning for Apple using its own internal SSD controller in the SoC instead of supporting SSDs using an M.2 NVME connection. There is clearly some magic happening in the SoC when hitting a lot of swap usage. If Apple had to rely on the controller on an M.2 SSD performance could suffer.
I like that guy's approach. Just matter-of-fact explanations without the dramatic sensationalism that you so often see out of YouTube presenters.

However, it still doesn't explain why my write speed suffers so when using the exact same drive, enclosure and hub that he has.

I've ordered a 15" M2 MBA which should arrive next week. I'll test again on the M2.

I did a real-world test to see if the external drive improved the speed of exporting a large iMovie video. It did not:

The video is a two and a half hour 720p AVC/AAC video exported to an MP4 container:

Boot from internal, IO internal: 29 minutes

Boot from internal, IO external San Disk Extreme : 32 minutes

Boot from internal, IO external Samsung 970 EVO: 29 minutes

Boot from external Samsung, IO external Samsung: 29 minutes

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Awesome read

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Awesome read

Sorry, you have been blocked…….​

they want my email address to proceed to the article.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Awesome read
All very interesting and very confusing. In this ARS article they find that the newer version of the 970 EVO Plus is slower than the older version:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...swapping-components-in-its-970-evo-plus-ssds/

"We tested the 970 Evo Plus (alongside the 980, and the older 970 Pro) in March, clocking it at write speeds of 1,600+ MiB/sec on 1MiB workloads. Our benchmarking was done with he old version, part number MZVLB1T0HBLR. The newer version—part number MZVL21T0HBLU—is considerably slower. According to 潮玩客's test results, the newer version only manages 830MiB/sec—half the performance of the original."

I have the older version: MZVLB1T0HBLR. But it performs poorly with my M1 MBA. But it also performed poorly with an Intel iMac; so it's apparently not chip incompatibility.

I'm now completely baffled.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Another thing that confuses me:

The part number on my drive is the old version (MZVLB1T0HBLR), but the manufacture date of 2023.05 is quite some time after Samsung supposedly changed the part number to MZVL21T0HBLU.

IMG_6391.jpeg

Reactions: MBAir2010

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Why not get a Samsung T7 SSD? That will do fine. You are wasting money and time trying to put together a SSD that you can already buy without problems.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
Why not get a Samsung T7 SSD? That will do fine. You are wasting money and time trying to put together a SSD that you can already buy without problems.
Because I'm an old retired guy with no friends and nothing to do. This little project has been interesting, time consuming and educational.

Anyway, I already have a T7, the performance of which is rather dismal at 130 MB/s write and 880 MB/s read; much worse than the drive I put together.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Another thing that confuses me:

The part number on my drive is the old version (MZVLB1T0HBLR), but the manufacture date of 2023.05 is quite some time after Samsung supposedly changed the part number to MZVL21T0HBLU.
thanks for this post and the previous one
the 2 NVMe blades are used only for Time Machine on both M1 Macs that share an enclosure.
this system works perfect now
when I used these as read write for data exchange,
sometime these blades would not read or eject them selves from the MBAm1
so im wondering why and now not really caring.

Reactions: Buadhai
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.