Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Hi Folks, it's been a long time since I've been here so apologies if this is the incorrect area of the forums ...

I have a late-2020 Mac Mini (M1) that I got to be a general-purpose computer (email, web, documents, etc.) but have also used it for testing code that I then run on my larger computers. I haven't had an issue until yesterday.

The configuration is a 2TB SSD. Apple’s System Information says my SSD has 380 GB remaining. iStat Menus says 380 GB remaining. Finder says 380 GB remaining. (based on how I keep track of free space, I, also, think it should have about 380 GB remaining) Disk Utility says 49 GB remaining. Sensei says 49 GB remaining. I tried to process data and it didn’t work, saying it could no longer write to the disk — so the Unix interface doesn’t know where 380–49=331 GB is hiding out.

I ran Disk Utility on the boot partition, it was fine. I started to run it on the Data partition, but after waiting about 30 minutes did a hard restart because the entire interface was frozen (it warns that the system will be unresponsive, but even the blue back-and-forth progress bar had frozen, whereas it had run for the boot partition even though it, too, said the UI would be frozen).

I was really hoping that Apple would release updated minis with more RAM at their event, and was going to get it and use this computer as a weather/TV/recipes (in the kitchen) server, and now I'm superstitiously afraid I jinxed it.

Thoughts?

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
There are hidden folders/ files that I believe do not show up in System Information.

On my 2 TB disk there are about 20 GB of these. On my machine they seem to be basically TimeMachine caches and backup snapshots. I guess if you do not regularly write these to external disks they could accumulate.

I also find that when I delete files the space may not be immediately released.

So the conflicting information about free space is to me not surprising, although larger than I would expect.

I recommend DaisyDisk as a good app to find out where the space is consumed, it will show you any hidden folders.

Reactions: astrostu

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
There are hidden folders/ files that I believe do not show up in System Information.

On my 2 TB disk there are about 20 GB of these. On my machine they seem to be basically TimeMachine caches and backup snapshots. I guess if you do not regularly write these to external disks they could accumulate.

I also find that when I delete files the space may not be immediately released.
<snip>
I've shown all folders, even hidden ones, and disk space taken adds up to 1.49 TB. Time Machine is saying full backup is 1.95 TB, though. I've also always had the issue, since Apple switched to APFS, of free space never showing up immediately. But it's also been now 16 hours and I've restarted twice, and the System Information has always shown me the real space left. I also deleted a lot of stuff with Sensei (well, 70 GB, lots of Developer APIs I don't need), but that space didn't free up in Disk Utility while it did in the Finder / System Information / iStat.

Tried DaisyDisk and it opened saying the 380 GB is available.

But, it scanned, and it had 350 GB of TimeMachine snapshots and things that it said it could delete, so, I did that, and now everything seems to be showing consistent numbers! Thanks!

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
I believe these files (Time Machine) are counted as free space as they can immediately be deleted hence the larger free space in System Info. But at the moment they are actually files on disk hence the lower free space if you run a unix command in terminal.

But anyhow, glad you got it sorted.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I believe these files (Time Machine) are counted as free space as they can immediately be deleted hence the larger free space in System Info. But at the moment they are actually files on disk hence the lower free space if you run a unix command in terminal.

But anyhow, glad you got it sorted.
Speaking as someone who's been using Macs since 1992 ... sigh. All these hidden things that are hidden beyond hidden, and giant caches that don't get emptied ... okay, these kids also need to get off my lawn. ?

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Speaking as someone who's been using Macs since 1992 ... sigh. All these hidden things that are hidden beyond hidden, and giant caches that don't get emptied ... okay, these kids also need to get off my lawn. ?
I’m pretty sure that those files that are hidden and show as free space will be removed if you need to use the space. They are not permanently allocated to the files but only until the space is actually needed. Think of them as dynamic cache.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I’m pretty sure that those files that are hidden and show as free space will be removed if you need to use the space. They are not permanently allocated to the files but only until the space is actually needed. Think of them as dynamic cache.
That's always happened before. It did not happen this time, even 16 hours later. Hence my concern above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.