Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seantmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2021
Hello guys, my budget is only allow me to choose between on of them and I'm looking for advice and opinion.

I mainly will use this machine for photoshop work. The PSD file I work on usually around 700mb - 1.5gb , with occasionally over 2gb.
I won't be using it for gaming. Won't be doing video editing either, at least for the moment.
In this case, is it having extra ram is better compare to extra gpu core with extra fan?

Also, extra usb c port is not necessary since i will be getting a hub / dock for my usb-a devices. Ethernet port is not important since I've been using wifi for my iMac entirely, and touch id is not necessary to me as well.

Your opinion is much appreciated! Looking forward!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I’d take the 16GB RAM in most cases you’ll notice a 50% RAM difference more than a 12.5% GPU difference. Especially with huge Photoshop files.

Most Photoshop tasks are CPU bound anyways. For regular non photoshop tasks the GPU won’t matter either. While GPU can accelerate a lot more than ten years ago. The bulk of tasks still fall under CPU speed and amount of RAM.

Reactions: Seantmb

Seantmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2021
I’d take the 16GB RAM in most cases you’ll notice a 50% RAM difference more than a 12.5% GPU difference. Especially with huge Photoshop files.

Most Photoshop tasks are CPU bound anyways. For regular non photoshop tasks the GPU won’t matter either. While GPU can accelerate a lot more than ten years ago. The bulk of tasks still fall under CPU speed and amount of RAM.
Thank you for your opinion!

Should I worry about having one fan less?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thank you for your opinion!

Should I worry about having one fan less?

It'll make a difference in max sustained workloads. The single fan could end up thermal throttling during an extended workload. It'll happen sometimes in Photoshop but most tasks are single threaded. So, I wouldn't expect it very often.

This also means the base model will run louder in heavy workloads. While the dual fan can technically run louder. In real life that is unlikely to occur. As the dual fans handle a full CPU workload without spinning up all the way. While the single fan will max out the fan.

This test will give an idea about thermal performance, noise under full load and thermal throttling. It's also interesting to note the huge difference in Lightroom performance on 16GB RAM vs 8GB. They mislabled them in the video in the Lightroom test. The 8 core has 16GB RAM and the 7 core has 8GB RAM.

This test focuses on M1 with 8GB RAM vs 16GB RAM. You'll notice some profound differences in Photoshop. Especially working with large files.

While I can't find exact numbers for your scenario (7 Core, 1 Fan, 16GB) vs (8 Core, 2 Fans, 8GB). Everything I do know tells me that 16GB RAM will matter more than anything else for what you are doing.

Rant:

Also shame on for Apple being a cheapskate over $5 worth of additional cooling. 8GB RAM on a $1300 computer is bad enough. Something like that makes them look like a miserly penny pincher. Not a premium computer maker.

USB ports, gig Ethernet, Touch ID and 8 core GPU should be the reasons for people to spend $200 more. Not intentionally gimping a computer to run hotter, louder and throttle more often. IE features not quality should be the deciding factor to upgrade.

Seantmb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2021
It'll make a difference in max sustained workloads. The single fan could end up thermal throttling during an extended workload. It'll happen sometimes in Photoshop but most tasks are single threaded. So, I wouldn't expect it very often.

This also means the base model will run louder in heavy workloads. While the dual fan can technically run louder. In real life that is unlikely to occur. As the dual fans handle a full CPU workload without spinning up all the way. While the single fan will max out the fan.

This test will give an idea about thermal performance, noise under full load and thermal throttling. It's also interesting to note the huge difference in Lightroom performance on 16GB RAM vs 8GB. They mislabled them in the video in the Lightroom test. The 8 core has 16GB RAM and the 7 core has 8GB RAM.

This test focuses on M1 with 8GB RAM vs 16GB RAM. You'll notice some profound differences in Photoshop. Especially working with large files.

While I can't find exact numbers for your scenario (7 Core, 1 Fan, 16GB) vs (8 Core, 2 Fans, 8GB). Everything I do know tells me that 16GB RAM will matter more than anything else for what you are doing.

Rant:

Also shame on for Apple being a cheapskate over $5 worth of additional cooling. 8GB RAM on a $1300 computer is bad enough. Something like that makes them look like a miserly penny pincher. Not a premium computer maker.

USB ports, gig Ethernet, Touch ID and 8 core GPU should be the reasons for people to spend $200 more. Not intentionally gimping a computer to run hotter, louder and throttle more often. IE features not quality should be the deciding factor to upgrade.
Thank you for the informative reply. Very much appreciate!

Perhaps that's Apple way to make a "performance difference" between the base model and mid-tier.

Anyway, seems like 16GB ram on the base 7 core gpu with one fan is a better bet over the higher tier with just on 8GB ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.