Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timbur98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
I've been using my M1 iMac for a couple weeks now and I've noticed what appears to be grey 'patches' on the screen when viewing white or light colours. It's especially noticeable when swiping between safari pages or when moving between two full-screen apps for example, and there's a vertical line on the off-right centre of the screen which is very noticeable (you can it see in both pictures - it's kind of a thin, long tornado shape). It's noticeable in both the lowest brightness and max brightness (see both pics).

Is this normal or should I contact Apple Support? And yes the screen itself is spotless, it isn't an issue with a dirty screen etc - I like to keep good care of my Apple products ?. Thanks!

Attachments

• tempImageVIEZuJ.png
    tempImageVIEZuJ.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 429
  • tempImagehDsZyW.png
    tempImagehDsZyW.png
    2 MB · Views: 244

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
Before you give them a call, try the same test with the brightness at a normal level and make the background darker in the system pref-desktop background. It just may be showing up because you have the backlight turned all the way down.

timbur98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
Before you give them a call, try the same test with the brightness at a normal level and make the background darker in the system pref-desktop background. It just may be showing up because you have the backlight turned all the way down.
Thanks for the reply - did you see the second picture with brightness set to max? The display still has the same blotches on it (although it's not as noticeable when dimmed).

Spacegray

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
Looks terrible on the fotos. If it looks the same in real life and it bothers you then call Apple.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Typical indication of poor backlighting. See if Apple will replace it. Hopefully you’re within the first 15 days and get a new unit instead of a refurb replacement.

Spacegray

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2016
Typical indication of poor backlighting. See if Apple will replace it. Hopefully you’re within the first 15 days and get a new unit instead of a refurb replacement.
If you are still in the return period then just send it back and buy a new one. So you do not have a risk to get a refurbished one.

timbur98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
Thank you all for your comments! I’ve contacted apple and (after going through 4 different people) managed to get a ‘return and replacement’ for the iMac. Very happy with how easy it was once I spoke to the right person, and fingers crossed the new Mac is perfect

Reactions: daniiv and Agile55
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.