Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thenahon

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2019
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
I just recently bout my send M1 Mac, the 2021 iMac. It has two Thunderbolt 3 - USB 4 ports which claim speeds up to 40Gb/s. However, when looking for an external SSD that can support those speeds, I am really only finding drives with those speeds at prices higher than a Mac.

Are there really no SSDs out there than can support this speed?

Am I missing something?

Edit: Tagged the post as thunderbolt4 but meant thunderbolt3….oh well

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
That's right. As BrianBaughn said, 40Gbps is just the maximum capacity of the Thunderbolt channel, which supports multiple devices transmitting and receiving simultaneously. You won't find a single device that can saturate the channel.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I just recently bout my send M1 Mac, the 2021 iMac. It has two Thunderbolt 3 - USB 4 ports which claim speeds up to 40Gb/s. However, when looking for an external SSD that can support those speeds, I am really only finding drives with those speeds at prices higher than a Mac.

Am I missing something?

Edit: Tagged the post as thunderbolt4 but meant thunderbolt3….oh well
Honestly, very very limited

in the computer world, SSD's have been mostly limited to chipspeeds. and with PCI-E Gen 3 still being the standard up until the last year (heck, still not even standard on intel platform), faster single drives were just not really being a top priority

with Gen4 now being more common, we're seeing faster SSD's start to hit the market. the Samsung 980 Pro using the Gen4 bus will hit close to the theoretical max 40gbps (minus overhead and other bandwidth usages). But it's and internal NVME drive and you'd have to find an external conversion case with support for those speeds to get it external

However, if you're going external, and you are mostly looking for a desktop based external storage array that does hit the speeds, it can be built using data spanning such as RAID-0. An external box with 2 or 4 NVME drives in RAID-0 or 10 would give you near 40gbps speeds (or as close the interface allows)

Reactions: Silly John Fatty

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
The value for money way to get a good-enough external TB3 drive is to buy something like the $80 JEYI brand TB3 enclosure from AliExpress, then find a good deal on a performance M.2 SSD module to put inside it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.