Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicmachine

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2016
with introduction of m1 iPad pro, think there's a possibility of m1 iPhone 13 pro??

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’m also leaning towards not happening for the already mentioned reason of die size and power consumption.

Reactions: snipr125

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
with introduction of m1 iPad pro, think there's a possibility of m1 iPhone 13 pro??
Yes yes yes. It totally makes sense apple consolidation strategy. I have the m1 MacBook Air and it’s amazing. Cool to the touch yet working well for my use. My 16in MacBook is warm just surfing the net. Battery life is awesome it sips battery.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Doubt it, don't see the point either, A14 is already overkill as hell and miles beyond other chips, and the A15 will be even better. I can't really think of why you'd need an M1, what would it be used for on an iPhone? Though, I could MAYBE see apple adding M chips to a future foldable phone, since it'll have a larger display and perhaps be used for more productivity based tasks, but this is just speculation.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The new iPad Pro and iMac showed how the M1 is scalable from tablets to desktops. I do wonder the same, whether Apple would transition iPhone using the M1 SoC as well. They might downclock it and/or reduce the number of cores (lower tier bin). Apple likes to streamline their productions, so if all their products cna use the same line of chips, the cheaper for them.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Doubt it, don't see the point either, A14 is already overkill as hell and miles beyond other chips, and the A15 will be even better. I can't really think of why you'd need an M1, what would it be used for on an iPhone? Though, I could MAYBE see apple adding M chips to a future foldable phone, since it'll have a larger display and perhaps be used for more productivity based tasks, but this is just speculation.
USB-c and thunderbolt support? Probably not, but who knows. Seems to make sense at least for the Pro lineup, differentiating it further from the peasant regular iPhone. :D

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
No.

A-Series SoC for Commercial Portables & Apple TV:
  • iPhone
  • iPad
  • iPad Air
  • iPad mini
  • Apple TV

S-Series SoC for Ultra Low-Power Portables:
  • Apple Watch

M-Series SoC for Commercial Macs & Pro iPads:
  • iMac (24")
  • MacBook Air
  • Mac mini
  • MacBook Pro 13"
  • iPad Pro

Higher Core Count M-Series SoC for Pro Macs:
  • iMac Pro (27-32")
  • MacBook Pro 14"/16"
  • Mac Pro
  • Mac mini Pro
If everything moved to the M-Series then that SoC would no longer be distinguished from the rest of the lineup.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I have been humbled by Apple with the 2021 iPad Pro, so I will say anything can happen ?

I posted in another thread like this that I would not be surprised if Apple went ahead and plonked the M1 into the iPhone Pro models and just slowed it down a little for better thermals on a smaller chassis.

So I would not be surprised if we saw:

iPhone Pro and iPhone Pro Max - M1/M series
iPhone, iPhone Mini and iPhone SE - A series

But who knows, let’s wait and see.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
After Apple claimed M1 stood for Mac processors only and put it in iPad, sure they might call the next iPhone Pro chip the same name.

muimui

macrumors regular
May 2, 2021
This 'M1' is nothing but a rebranded A14X (4 high perf cores, double the GPU cores vs A14). So no. There won't be an M1 in the next iPhone. There'll be a A15 (i.e. 2 high perf cores)

A youtube claims new M1 ipad pro cannot really have M1 performance excepts few apps that are built for M1. That sounds like M1 structure is very different from A14 and apps for A14 cannot just run with M1 full time.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
A youtube claims new M1 ipad pro cannot really have M1 performance excepts few apps that are built for M1. That sounds like M1 structure is very different from A14 and apps for A14 cannot just run with M1 full time.
Simply not true.
The M1 is the same as the A14 with more performance-cores (named „Firestorm“), same four efficiency-cores (named „Icestorm“) more GPU cores and higher clocks. Both based on the ARM v8.4-A architecture. That’s it.

That said, I am really sure we will es an A15 in this year‘s iPhone lineup :)

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Looks like this is a popular question..
Basically he says no because an M1 scaled down for the iPhone’s power draw is an A14 which we already have.

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
In the end it doesn’t matter. The performance to the enduser wouldn’t be different.
if there would be a way to put the much bigger chip in the phone, still it would be limited by battery and fanless design.

if you think it will play in the MB Pro ballpark you miss the point. performance doesn’t come out of thin air…

Last edited:

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
As I understand it at this point the M1 is just a scaled up version of A14 with some Mac specific components and more cores. As others have mentioned the chip would just be too much of a power draw for that size of battery to handle. Thank you Rene Ritchie for that knowledge.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Its not about the battery While the battery capacity minimum requires about 4500 MAH or recommended of 5000 MAH even the iPhone 14 Pro Max is below the minimum battery requiresments only 4200MAH?, M1 is like A14X, or A15 they are very efficient, however M1 is also bigger than A15... The iPhone Pro size is Just 19 Square inch... And again its better to put M1 in at least doubled the body of an Biggest iPhone which approaching the iPad Mini (40 Square inch) to handle those heating issues so the temperature somehow balances or something like that.

I also think that A Series will be for iPhone for quite a while unless they start making M Series designed for iPhone like its bigger cousins like iPad/Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.