Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlabenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
PA
I have a late 2013 27“ Imac running catalina (10.15.7). Apple no longer supports this device and it is no longer upgradeable past Catalina. I purchased a new M1 IPAD 12.9” and have been doing much more work on it than the iMac. I would like to use my old iMac as an external monitor for the IPad.

I’ve tried several things based on suggestion:

1) purchased thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter and a thunderbolt cable - and - nothing happens.
2) purchased a USB-C to USB-A cable and at least both iMac and iPad recognize each other.
3) I even tried SHIFTSCREEN 4X - but - neither cable configuration above (1 &2 ) work and AIRPLAY does not work either.

Is there a way to use this older IMAC as an external monitor for the IPad?

I have searched for a solution but keep only finding articles on how to use an old iMac as a monitor for another mac or MacBook.

thanks.

jlabenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
PA
Yet there was the kanex adapter that allowed hdmi input to them as well though…..
could please specify the specific kanex adapter - specifically for utilizing late 2013 27" iMac to be used as an external for a 2021 m1 12" iPad pro? - thank you

DiegoA

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2021
I have a late 2013 27“ Imac running catalina (10.15.7). Apple no longer supports this device and it is no longer upgradeable past Catalina. I purchased a new M1 IPAD 12.9” and have been doing much more work on it than the iMac. I would like to use my old iMac as an external monitor for the IPad.

I’ve tried several things based on suggestion:

1) purchased thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter and a thunderbolt cable - and - nothing happens.
2) purchased a USB-C to USB-A cable and at least both iMac and iPad recognize each other.
3) I even tried SHIFTSCREEN 4X - but - neither cable configuration above (1 &2 ) work and AIRPLAY does not work either.

Is there a way to use this older IMAC as an external monitor for the IPad?

I have searched for a solution but keep only finding articles on how to use an old iMac as a monitor for another mac or MacBook.

thanks.
I just tried the same thing last night with a 2010 iMac and iPad pro using a display port cord and a TB3 to TB2 adapter. No luck. But the ipad works great on a TV with a usb to hdmi cord.
Even if you got it to work on the iMac properly wouldn't the black bars (from the differing screen ratios) on each side be annoying?

Reactions: jlabenberg

jlabenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
PA
I just tried the same thing last night with a 2010 iMac and iPad pro using a display port cord and a TB3 to TB2 adapter. No luck. But the ipad works great on a TV with a usb to hdmi cord.
Even if you got it to work on the iMac properly wouldn't the black bars (from the differing screen ratios) on each side be annoying?
You know, you're right (about the black bars on each side...I haven't got my setup to work but several YouTubes speak of this. My whole reason for buying the iPad pro was that this old iMac isn't able to update anymore and I had hoped at the very least that the "monitor" part of the iMac would still be useful using the iPad Pro as my main workhorse. Now of course I'm wondering...did I make a mistake buying the iPad? Time will tell of course. The larger screen has many advantages especially for my not so young eyes. thanks for the help.

jlabenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
PA
Looking at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592 it seems that this is only supported from Mac to Mac, not iPad to Mac. It might not work at all.
i've read the same doc and several other posts elsewhere referencing the same thing - it's a mac to mac thing not iOS to macOS thing maybe? (especially since you have to be signed into the same macOS account to pull it off. thank goodness I didn't revert this iMac back to high Sierra or something earlier just to find out that i needed a Mac and not an iPad. as i've said below - i'm now rethinking my choice to purchase the iPad pro m1 - not because of it's performance -it's a beautiful pied of tech - but my thoughts of what i was going to do with it can't be realized. i appreciate your input

teameurox

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
This is what I was speaking of but it appears as if it was minidisplay only. https://www.kanex.com/xd

And you did enter target display mode on the iMac command 2 correct?

Here is a Apple Thunderbolt Display setup I use

a0c05dc34e1f5d2f55c9a1e28f349e55.jpg

We are truly just one update away from apple flipping the switch on external monitors especially with the M1 chip. Now if that update comes this year or not is a diff question

Reactions: jlabenberg

jlabenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
PA
This is what I was speaking of but it appears as if it was minidisplay only. https://www.kanex.com/xd

And you did enter target display mode on the iMac command 2 correct?

Here is a Apple Thunderbolt Display setup I use

a0c05dc34e1f5d2f55c9a1e28f349e55.jpg

We are truly just one update away from apple flipping the switch on external monitors especially with the M1 chip. Now if that update comes this year or not is a diff question
thank you for the update - i'm more than willing to purchase the KANEX adapter - however (and please excuse my ignorance) - I do not have a thunderbolt display - i have an iMac with thunderbolt ports - it looks the same as what you have there but i've been told there's a major difference between what you have and what i have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.