Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
If i bought an apple Studio display and connected my 12.9 M1 iPad Pro to it, could i then connect external drives to the monitor and would they show up as usable on the iPad? And if yes would it work with multiple drives? I have a T7 but also a Lacie 2big

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020
Short answer: almost certainly yes.
Why: I don’t know about Studio display, because I have LG Ultrafine 4K, but Ultrafine works in a similar to Studio display way. I also use iPad Air 5, which only supports USB-C. Nevertheless, if I connect two external drives to the display and connect display to the iPad, I can operate with both drives. I am not sure what performance it delivers though.

Reactions: MiniApple

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Why: I don’t know about Studio display, because I have LG Ultrafine 4K, but Ultrafine works in a similar to Studio display way. I also use iPad Air 5, which only supports USB-C. Nevertheless, if I connect two external drives to the display and connect display to the iPad, I can operate with both drives. I am not sure what performance it delivers though.
Thanks for the reply and yeah it sounds promising. my local apple stores will never set up the iPad and studio display combo. I’ve asked but they wont allow it because it Sets off the alarm systems apparently.

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
  • any chance of a photo of your setup?

If I understood that correctly you've got your iPad Air 5 connected with USB-C to your Monitor + 2 SD/HD Drives directly to the Monitor.
  • So the Monitor not only is the display, but also basically a "hub"?

• Do you by chance have any keyboard/mouse (dongles) added to your Monitor or bluetooth connected to your iPad directly when stationary?

Fravin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
If i bought an apple Studio display and connected my 12.9 M1 iPad Pro to it, could i then connect external drives to the monitor and would they show up as usable on the iPad? And if yes would it work with multiple drives? I have a T7 but also a Lacie 2big
Sure thing!

My work stuff is all hooked on a LG 32UL750 using it own USBC cable. This display mimics a USB Hub while providing an video output and juicing up my ipad. The two external SSDs hooked on it are visible in Files App. But I would suggest you the File Browser Pro, as it handles external drives better.
I use my M2 iPP as a computer, with a mouse, trackpad and keyboard connected by BT. While connected to my display, the iPad works as a second screen, with the external display being the primary one.

It’s a hell of a device.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Sure thing!

My work stuff is all hooked on a LG 32UL750 using it own USBC cable. This display mimics a USB Hub while providing an video output and juicing up my ipad. The two external SSDs hooked on it are visible in Files App. But I would suggest you the File Browser Pro, as it handles external drives better.
I use my M2 iPP as a computer, with a mouse, trackpad and keyboard connected by BT. While connected to my display, the iPad works as a second screen, with the external display being the primary one.

It’s a hell of a device.
Sounds good!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.