Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
After waking up my M1 Mac Mini, the HDMI display which is set at 1440p scales incorrectly to 1080p. I have to manually change it every time or turn the display off and on again for it go back to 1440p. This only happens when waking after sleep. I use 2 monitors, the other is USB C to DP.
This is the most extremely annoying thing ever. Every time I want to use my computer I have to fix the scaling. Does anyone else have this issue or know a fix?
Thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Are you connecting via HDMI-to-HDMI?
It -might- be the cable. HDMI cables are not "all the same".

Having said that...

There's really no reason to "put the Mini to sleep" when it's on (but you're not using it).

The difference in power consumption between "on, but sleeping" and "on, but idling" is next-to-nothing on these.

The solution -might- be to put the DISPLAY to sleep while leaving the Mini on, but idling.

You could set up a screensaver with a hot corner in the "desktop and screen saver" preference pane. Then, when you walk away for a while, just shove the pointer into the hot corner and the screen saver will engage.

I set the upper right corner as "the hot corner" that engages the screen saver.

The final parameters to set:
Go to the "energy saver" preference pane, and put a check into "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off".

Also, set the "turn display off after" slider wherever you want.

I suggest you try this for a day or two, and see how it goes.

Then again, there's "another way" that I use when I'll be away for a longer period of time:
I just "reach forward" and TURN OFF the display (leaving everything else alone).
Then I walk away...

Reactions: adamcarvell

F23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2014
In my use I found that using the set display to sleep hot corner is actually what triggers the wrong display scaling from wake. while actually clicking on the top left apple logo & selecting sleep, then waking will wake to the correct resolution. this scenario happens every time for both situations. and yes I am using the Belkin 4K HDMI cable that apple sells directly. I have tried another HDMI cable and had the same problem. this is a software problem or a hardware problem

Reactions: chrisdazzo

videosoul

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2018
London, UK
After waking up my M1 Mac Mini, the HDMI display which is set at 1440p scales incorrectly to 1080p. I have to manually change it every time or turn the display off and on again for it go back to 1440p. This only happens when waking after sleep. I use 2 monitors, the other is USB C to DP.
This is the most extremely annoying thing ever. Every time I want to use my computer I have to fix the scaling. Does anyone else have this issue or know a fix?
Thanks

After speaking to three different people at Apple, I am now onto a guy who seems to be taking this pretty seriously. In our last call, he told me that he has heard from the development engineers who have confirmed to him that this is in fact a known issue, and they are "working on it". Whatever that means. He said they are keen to get more log dumps from suers who are affected.

So, I advise all of you who have this issue to contact Apple Support, and stick with them until you get the point where they are willing to capture sysdiagnose log dumps.

Maybe this will actually lead to a fix. Hopeful thinking!

For clarity, my issue is similar but perhaps not exactly the same as the OP: My issue is that minimised/hidden windows rearrange themselves after computer wakes from sleep, or if external display is turned off then on again. So, for example, a window that filled the screen before sleep will be squished into the bottom left corner after I wake the computer up. For clarity, I am using a Mac Studio running the latest Ventura with a 3rd party (Asus ProArt) external display connected via Thunderbolt 3. No other displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.