Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I recently purchased a M1 Mac mini, as my old windows desktop gave up the ghost. Since I had existing displays, decided to use the HDMI out and the thunderbolt port (with an adapter) to connect the existing displays. I have connected an external SSD to the second thunderbolt port. If I don't use the Mac for a while, the second display (connected to thunderbolt) doesn't work. I have to unplug both the connection on thunderbolt ports and plug it back in to make it work. The Mac mini is powered on most of the time. Is there some power saving setting that causes this issue or a setup/usage fault or hardware issue that requires a call to Apple? I have updated the mini to the most recent version of Monterey as well.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
Is there some power saving setting that causes this issue or a setup/usage fault or hardware issue that requires a call to Apple?
It is a known issue that USB-C monitor hot plug is not handled gracefully and cannot wake up some monitors. The easiest way to "fix" that might be using an HDMI dongle and use that dongle to connect the monitor.

vgk80

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
It is a known issue that USB-C monitor hot plug is not handled gracefully and cannot wake up some monitors. The easiest way to "fix" that might be using an HDMI dongle and use that dongle to connect the monitor.
I am using one like this: Link

Are you suggesting to try something like a HDMI splitter like this Link?

legato01

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
Apparently for Apple
It just works
unless it's USB-C/Thunderbolt

Got few simple USB devices and so far having some issues after OS updates
  1. 2 Orico USB-C - NVMe enclosures
    • both keep disconnecting
    • 1 seems ok when using USB 3.0 only, i.e. slower
    • 1 worked flawlessly before some OS update
  2. ACASIS portable USB-C 10 in 1 hub
    • sometimes disconnects
Ordered another small thunderbolt 3 small dock to test.

This is where Microsoft has Apple beat. Device compatibility. Apple should just hire some people from Microsoft.

Unfortunately, Apple has no incentive to fix this issue. They want customers to buy the largest SSD as much as possible and be inside their walled garden. </end rant because why apple? o why cant you fix usb?>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.