Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How uniform is your M1 MacBook Air keyboard?

• Mostly Loose/Wobbly Keys

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
I am curious to see what other people's experiences have been like with their M1 MacBook Airs. Does your keyboard have keys that are all uniform in feel/stability (other than the spacebar) or do you have some keys that are looser than the others? I'm not sure if the selections that I provided are ideally worded, so feel free to offer suggestions if you think it should be worded differently.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
I am curious to see what other people's experiences have been like with their M1 MacBook Airs. Does your keyboard have keys that are all uniform in feel/stability (other than the spacebar) or do you have some keys that are looser than the others? I'm not sure if the selections that I provided are ideally worded, so feel free to offer suggestions if you think it should be worded differently.

I think the only reason there is no response to this thread is that people are either too busy using their computers for productivity or they are too busy finding out the wobbly keys and non-uniform feel.

The only reason I am typing this is because I own a MacBook Air 2017 with the old-style chiclet keys and could not care less about this issue, so I have been able to respond when I saw the thread. I have gone through keyboard reliability nightmares with 2016 butterfly models. I would think the scissor mechanism is a much better upgrade.

Furthermore, some keys are designed to feel different than others, for tactile variability that is helpful when one types without looking at the keyboard.

bhargavrepaka

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2021
Hi, i use the new macbook air m1 too. yes i do notice that few keys are looser than others. the space is annoying to. makes alot of noise too.

JustiNYCity

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana
I received an M1 back in January and was constantly bothered by the loose spacebar- it stuck out more than other surrounding keys, and all of the keys had a much softer wobble back and forth feel to them. I brought my macbook into a best buy just to compare to another new M1 air keyboard and it was a lot more sturdy/flush. Had the top case eventually replaced and everything is wonderful. Solid keyboard. I really wonder if some of the early M1 models had early 2020 MBA keyboards? (i Know these are the same design but with differing internals maybe keyboards are different between builds)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.