Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xandrios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2021
Hi there,

Have been using a MBP 15" (2013 model) but looking for something better performing and lighter in weight. On the resources front I've pretty much decided that a 16GB Air will do. And I'd rather buy a new (better performing) Air a few years down the line, than spending twice the money for a Pro now, getting those extra resources only to extend its lifetime.

However... the Air is an old(er) design. I really like the new 14/16" screens, both for their quality and the fact that they are simply larger (= better suited for daily work). But obviously those larger screens make the laptops larger and heavier which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

So I'd have to make some compromise. Either go for the larger 14/16" model and accept the higher price (and weight), or enjoy the lower price and weight of an Air...but have a screen that practically is too small for daily use.

My conclusion is that I may be best off getting an Air with external monitor for home use. When on the road I can live with 13". But then the question arises, what monitor should that be. From what I understand the M1 Air doesn't support scaling for anything under a 4K resolution, unless you pull some driver trickery using SwitchResX. Scaling to effectively full-hd (1920x1080) would be important to have enough desktop space available.

When working with a QHD (2560x1440) monitor (and SwitchResX) would scaling down to Full-HD (1920x1080) be feasible? Since that's not exact integer-scaling would that still look good (i.e. still having clear text, no blurry)? Would the quality be comparable to when I set my retina macbook screen to non-integer scaling?

Alternatively I could have a look at 4K displays (3840x2160) which (having whole-integer scaling) allows full-hd (1920x1080) and obviously having a little higher DPI. And from what I hear scaling is native supported for these. They are however limited to 60Hz and about twice the price of QHD...so if QHD could work at good/decent scaled quality then that may be preferable.

Your help and advise is much appreciated!

Xandrios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2021
So..it seems that my initial conclusion about 4K screens being more expensive does not make much sense. That applies only to 4K screens with a refresh rate over 60Hz...which is not supported by the Macbook Air anyway.

So when choosing between a 120+ Hz QHD screen, or, a 60Hz 4K screen, I guess the 4K one wins out due to the higher pixel density. Though, I'd have to run that at a scaled resolution...likely 150% or 200%. Would 150% still render nicely or does that destroy quality?

Looking at the options available locally I'll have to choose between:

Samsung UR55 28" (or one of the variants that all seem to have the same specs)
LG 27UL500/600 27"
Dell S2721QS 27"

I'm leaning towards the LG. Looked at the 500/550 and 600/650. The X50 models are about 50 bucks more expensive and offer a height-adjustable stand. I figured that money is better spent on a VESA desk mount/arm. The Samsung has a larger screen which is both an advantage (Things are displayed slightly larger..), and a disadvantage (The PPI is lower, meaning less of that 'Retina effect').

Anybody using any of these screens with their M1 MBA? Is there a large difference in quality between integer and fraction scaling (e.g. 150% and 200%)?

Last edited:

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I'm using an LG 27" 4K monitor with a thunderbolt cable and it works well.
I decided to use scaled 2560x1440. That gives as much space as the old Apple Thunderbolt Display but the added resolution of the 4K makes the text better. I don't really like it at the native 4K resolution as it makes icons and things too small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.