Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livinglight108

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2022
I acuiqred a bricked machine second hand. 2020 m1 air, black screen upon boot, no apple logo displayed. Display lights up though is black. No USB-C to HDMI to test. I am currently attempting to revive, hope it works.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I acuiqred a bricked machine second hand. 2020 m1 air, black screen upon boot, no apple logo displayed. Display lights up though is black. No USB-C to HDMI to test. I am currently attempting to revive, hope it works.
That’s a different problem than described here, as the problem here was only triggered on Macs that support ProMotion: 14 and 16 inch MacBook Pro computers.

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
I encountered something similar to this (but a newer OS update) in the last few weeks on my 16" M1 Max. I had promotion turned off and did a 14.4 beta update. After this, the computer boots but will show a black screen with evident backlight still turned on. No video though. I have been through Apple diagnostics and a repair shop and they couldn't find anything obvious with the hardware components. Would this DFU mode thing likely work for me? I have the latest 14.4 and I am now more and more convinced this is a software brick! HDMI output also works fine and manually setting the display to 50 hz instead of promotion sometimes enables the display again on my internal screen. I do need another mac for this, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.