Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hey all,

I have an M1 Max MacBook Pro 16" with 32GB of RAM, 1TB storage and 32 graphics cores with which I've encountered a strange problem.

I'm running a clean install – not an upgrade from Catalina – of MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 and for some reason, I have a fatal error that I can replicate.

When I attach my MBP to my external monitor via an Anker Thunderbolt (USB-C) to DisplayPort cable, along with my USB hub for using a mouse and keyboard, close my laptop lid with the power connected so that it does not go into sleep mode, and then attempt to use a graphics heavy app, such as a video game or video editing, at some point the image on the monitor will be replaced by a solid green screen, and the Mac will restart itself with the error "Your Mac was restarted because of an error."

It will happen every time I do this, which is why I can replicate it. I have several kernel panic logs that I can share with someone who knows how to parse them and shed some light on this mystery. I am attaching them to this post as PDFs. As far as I can tell trying to skim through it in Console, the error is always the same.

Additionally, I have an M1 MacBook Air that I was able to use to try and replicate the issue, and was unable to do so. When connected with the same display cable, to the same monitor, with the same USB hub also attached, and with the Mac lid closed, I was able to compute successfully for quite some time without encountering the same green screen crash and restart at all. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the MBP, though I hope it is not on a hardware level.

I've tried the following for troubleshooting:

– I closed out any and all extra programs that I had running in the background, but no luck there.

– I restarted the Mac while holding down the TouchID button to bring up the boot menu, and then held down Command + D and ran the Apple Diagnostics, but that returned no issues, even after I ran it again.

– I restarted in Safe Mode, with no change in behavior.

– I created a fresh volume from my recovery partition when booting up, and then installed a clean copy of Ventura on that with no other third party programs, and it still happened.

– I created a fresh volume from my recovery partition when booting up, and then installed a clean copy of Monterey on that with no other third party programs, and it FIXED the issue!

This leads me to believe that, at least for the M1 Max MBP, with certain monitors, and this AW monitor specifically, Ventura is causing the issue. I am currently in the process of moving my files over from the Ventura to the Monterey volume on my internal drive, and just keeping the Ventura volume until the next system update, to see if that resolves my very specific, niche issue.

Attachments

• panic-full-2022-11-18-170234.0002.pdf
    859.1 KB · Views: 319
  • panic-full-2022-11-18-043155.0002.pdf
    879.2 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

parkerbossier

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2021
I have a similar, although not identical issue. Starting today, I've had 6 kernel panics. I have no (knowingly) recently installed any system updates. I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary for web development (VS Code, Chrome, Youtube Music, Remote Desktop, etc.). I'll be working fine for a while, and then my whole system goes unresponsive (although my internal and external displays don't show green; they show whatever they were last showing). Then my MacBook restarts.

M1 MacBook Pro, 14", 2021, 16GB RAM
macOS Ventura 13.0
Dell AW3420DW running at 1440@120Hz (variable), via DisplayPort
Pluggable Thunderbolt powered dock

I have not yet tried to isolate components. I did notice this morning that my monitor's refresh rate dropped down to 60Hz from the variable 120Hz on its own. Unplugging and replugging the DP cable seemed to fix this, although not the panics.

Attachments

• panic.txt
    42.2 KB · Views: 80

parkerbossier

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2021
Update: I've gone through today with no panics. I did nothing differently from yesterday, and I haven't knowingly updated anything. Very strange indeed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.