Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Markhor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2022
I bought an M1 Max Macbook Pro in November (maxed out in all aspects with 1 TB SSD). It worked great the first month and a half, but recently, I've been hearing its fan turn on quite often and it gets pretty hot to the touch. I don't understand why it's doing that since I'm not doing any intensive tasks. At first, I thought it was google chrome so I switched to firefox; however, while there is a difference, it's still worrisome and shouldn't be happening with a machine of this capability.

In terms of CPU usage, I've observed that whenever I turn on Google Chrome, it shows it using like well above 100% CPU in activity monitor. Also, two other tasks pop up - Crash Report and WindowsServer, and both seem to use over 100%. My google chrome also crashes often - could that be the source of the problem? But either way, shouldn't the computer be unfazed by this, given it's capability? So is this a hardware fault? Appreciate any and all answers. Thanks!

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I bought an M1 Max Macbook Pro in November (maxed out in all aspects with 1 TB SSD). It worked great the first month and a half, but recently, I've been hearing its fan turn on quite often and it gets pretty hot to the touch. I don't understand why it's doing that since I'm not doing any intensive tasks. At first, I thought it was google chrome so I switched to firefox; however, while there is a difference, it's still worrisome and shouldn't be happening with a machine of this capability.

In terms of CPU usage, I've observed that whenever I turn on Google Chrome, it shows it using like well above 100% CPU in activity monitor. Also, two other tasks pop up - Crash Report and WindowsServer, and both seem to use over 100%. My google chrome also crashes often - could that be the source of the problem? But either way, shouldn't the computer be unfazed by this, given it's capability? So is this a hardware fault? Appreciate any and all answers. Thanks!

None of that should be getting your machine hot. You may have a hardware problem.

Markhor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2022
are the air intakes blocked (thinking major pocket lint)?
Nope, it seems all clear. Don't see why they would be as it's a new machine that hasn't rlly been used in any such environment.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

How about installing Mac Fan Control 1.5.11 (free) and watching the SoC temp sensors as you try various applications in conjunction with activity monitor. Also what MacOS version is involved?

Last edited:
Reactions: yitwail

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Browsing any sketchy site?

Markhor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2022
How about installing Mac Fan Control 1.5.11 (free) and watching the SoC temp sensors as you try various applications in conjunction with activity monitor. Also what MacOS version is involved?
I just installed it. Do you mean observing these values? What's a high range ? thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 8.26.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 8.26.15 PM.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 102

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
If there is an apple store close by make an appointment for the genius bar. You can also call Apple and they will send a box to send it in. There are approved apple repair places but since this is a new M1, I would deal directly with apple.

You might also do some detective work and try seeing if no using Chrome stops the issue. You can also open activity monitor and see what is running when it is getting hot. Use Mac Fan Control to see when the temps start to go up. If it is an app issue you can remove misbehaving apps or even more drastic - reinstall Monterey.

Reactions: Lcgiv

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
If you send it to apple , their response will be that its normal that your mbp to get hot

aeronatis

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2015
It could be due to dozens of things. Any background app, browser extension, connected external device that requires special software/driver unoptimized for Apple Silicon, etc.

It could even be as simple as not having installed the M1 version of the Chrome. Since you say it was ok for the first month and a half, it could be anything that changed after that timeframe.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Try reinstalling Google Chrome. A browser shouldn't tax 100% of the M1 Max power if that is what you are seeing.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I agree with others that it is odd and that you might have a problem somewhere. As such, running at close to 200% CPU activity should not make your MBP loud and hot - unless there is also considerable GPU activity. But crushes might be indicative of a deeper configuration or hardware issue. Or, it could be just Chrome being buggy.

I would recommend that you go with Safari for a couple of days, even if it’s not your browser of choice. If you experience no issues here, you can be fairly sure that it’s a software thing. If symptoms continue I’d contact Apple support for a diagnostic.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
It sounds like you might have some runaway process.
Apple will run its diagnostic and, either they find something wrong with the hardware or they will ask you to reinstall the OS from new.

If it was my machine I would wait a few days to see if the problem resolved itself.
If the issue carries on, I would setup from new (do not restore any apps or settings from backup, other than your actual data).
If the issue persists after that, I would take it to Apple.
If you live too far from an Apple store you can do a postal swap.
If you have enough credit on your card you can arrange for them to send you a new machine before you send the old one in, but they will put a card hold until they receive the old machine.

clevins

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2014
All - note this about the OP:

In terms of CPU usage, I've observed that whenever I turn on Google Chrome, it shows it using like well above 100% CPU in activity monitor. Also, two other tasks pop up - Crash Report and WindowsServer, and both seem to use over 100%. My google chrome also crashes often - could that be the source of the problem?

Since it's Chrome... 1) Delete Chrome, 2) reinstall Chrome. 3) DO NOT install extensions.

See what happens.

NOTE: Chrome runs fine on the M1 assuming you've installed the arm version. In About Chrome, you should see this (version will change over time, this is current as i type)::

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 9.52.22 AM.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.