Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
I need to connect my M1 Max to a 6 year old NEC Multi sync display. The cables I'm seeing at Amazon and elsewhere do not have the same adapter as the ports on my machine, shown below. Aren't these the two ports Displayports? If so, what am I missing? amazom DP ports.png IMG_7804.JPG

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Converting from USB-C to DVI requires an active adapter, which means you want a high quality adapter.

You can purchase this adapter and use a DVI cable. Your monitor has a pair of DVI ports.

Reactions: jdb8167

dhmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Looks like there are multiple options Would any one be better than the other? And how about just a

DisplayPort to DVI Adapter? But that's probably not active. Thanks for the help.​

Last edited:

dhmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022

Converting from USB-C to DVI requires an active adapter, which means you want a high quality adapter.

You can purchase this adapter and use a DVI cable. Your monitor has a pair of DVI ports.

Last edited:

zzemman

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2021

Using an active adapter is always a risk. Using HDMI to DVI adapter does not require active / transcoding. It's essentially the same signal (except that DVI does not carry sound). A simple cable like this should work fine on all new MacBook pros with an HDMI port. EDIT: with the link: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Adapter-Cable-1-Pack/dp/B014I8UQJY/

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I need to connect my M1 Max to a 6 year old NEC Multi sync display. The cables I'm seeing at Amazon and elsewhere do not have the same adapter as the ports on my machine, shown below. Aren't these the two ports Displayports? If so, what am I missing? View attachment 1955581 View attachment 1955580

dhmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Using an active adapter is always a risk. Using HDMI to DVI adapter does not require active / transcoding. It's essentially the same signal (except that DVI does not carry sound). A simple cable like this should work fine on all new MacBook pros with an HDMI port. EDIT: with the link: https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Adapter-Cable-1-Pack/dp/B014I8UQJY/
Hmm, got a different reply above and bought the active adapter yesterday. So what is the risk of using it? I'll pickup the one you suggest as well.. Thanks for the info.

dhmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Reactions: LuisN

zzemman

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2021
Hmm, got a different reply above and bought the active adapter yesterday. So what is the risk of using it? I'll pickup the one you suggest as well.. Thanks for the info.
There is always a small risk when attaching a cheap (active) electronics device to an expensive laptop. There is less risk attaching a passive cable that is only wiring (although there is also a small chance the wiring could be wrong). It's just a bit less risk. So if you really want to plug your monitor into a USB-C / Thunderbolt port then use the active adapter. But if you are indiferent, it's a bit safer to use the HDMI port with the passive cable. My 2c.

dhmiller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
There is always a small risk when attaching a cheap (active) electronics device to an expensive laptop. There is less risk attaching a passive cable that is only wiring (although there is also a small chance the wiring could be wrong). It's just a bit less risk. So if you really want to plug your monitor into a USB-C / Thunderbolt port then use the active adapter. But if you are indiferent, it's a bit safer to use the HDMI port with the passive cable. My 2c.
Thanks much. I'll try HDMI first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.