Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hi, so my my daughter needed a laptop so i gave my good ol 2021 MacbookPro 13” M1 to her
Now i need to buy a new laptop for my self.
I don’t really need a powerful CPU or GPU
As my main usage are just browsing, downloading, some RAW photo editing via photoshop.
BUT as im old now
I need bigger and better screen , so im eyeing for a 16” MacbookPro .

I was going to order the stock
16” MacbookPro
M3 Pro 12 core CPU, 18 core GPU, 16 core neural engine
18GB ram
And upgrade the storage to 1TB SSD
It will cost me $2699

But i saw that B&H have early black Friday offer for this MacbookPro
16” MacbookPro
M1 Max 10 core CPU, 32 core GPU, 16 core neural engine
64GB ram
4TB SSD
Price is $2.999 after discount

Now I can’t decide on which one to get, can anyone tell me which one will be a better machine for my needs ?

Thank you

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
I probably would go with the new machine.. unless you just need more than 1tb..

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You have to remember that Apple typically cuts off macOS updates an update at a time. So this M1 Max will be cut about two years earlier. Then you have to factor in the far superior single core performance of the M3 Pro and the fact that it even beats it in multi core benchmarks to a lesser extent. Factor in the brighter display, slightly longer battery life, and save some money.

If there is one thing I might upgrade if you plan to keep this a long time, it’s bumping the RAM up to 24GB. Otherwise if you don’t multitask a lot it might be ok. From what you do it sounds like you don’t need the 64GB, but idk about your storage needs. Probably only go with the M1 Max if you need a lot of built-in storage. If you’re like me, your Lightroom catalog requires its own 4TB SSD anyway.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Sound like you would be fine with a M1 pro and less RAM for far less money

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.