Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
So I've got a co-worker with a 2020 M1 13" MBP. I understand that it cannot support dual monitors. However, I am under the impression that there are work-arounds? Has anyone tried these?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
So I've got a co-worker with a 2020 M1 13" MBP. I understand that it cannot support dual monitors. However, I am under the impression that there are work-arounds? Has anyone tried these?
DisplayLink USB adapters will work around the issue by adding basically a software USB display. They work, but they have some limits to performance, resolutions/refresh and possibly some rotation (portrait) issues. Depending on what display you intend to use and for what purpose, it may work reasonably well.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
She wouldn't be gaming or anything intensive. It is mainly just for work purposes with spreadsheets and webpages being used.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
She wouldn't be gaming or anything intensive. It is mainly just for work purposes with spreadsheets and webpages being used.
Then she would probably be fine with it. There's a few on the market, so Google will be your friend. Find one that advertises Mac support. There's a software driver you'll have to install. Sonnet makes at least one that's advertised for the Mac, so might be a good place to start.

Don't forget she can use the laptop's screen as a second display. If she gets a stand that elevates the laptop, one external plus the built-in screen might be sufficient without having to add any additional hardware + software.

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Any models that people prefer? She needs something that works and is reliable.

Oh and the monitor ports are HDMI.

Last edited:

81Tiger04

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2009
SC
Other than the Plugable, most of those adapters on the Synaptics site aren't available. Either they are out of stock or companies like Alogic don't sell in the US.

The Plugable you linked is available and seems to be reviewed rather well. I also found this HyperDrive with "positive" reviews. Oh and there is this Dell. Does anyone have experience with either one? Or recommend something?

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I've always had good luck with the DisplayLink adapters. On my old setup, I had two old Dell DVI monitors and a 15" Intel MBP with only USB-C ports for connection. I was able to get both monitors working with no problems and was able to get them to stay in my preferred configuration using the DisplayLink hub. The "second" monitor was acting as the software monitor as someone else described it. I usually just kept my email client or a website on the second one for quick reference and did all my busy work on the left one.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Too late to tell you this but just in case it's useful for someone else, most people forget (or don't think about the fact) the Mac Mini can support two displays without any sketchy software workarounds, just like the Air and 13" MBP can, obviously except with the Air and 13" MBP one of the displays is your built-in laptop screen and you can't disable it in favour of a 2nd external.

tagumcity

macrumors regular
May 11, 2015
Tempe, Arizona
Using a Kensington vu40004k video adapter, which is working surprisingly well with an OWC thunderbolt hub to the Kensington vu40004k, DAC & amp, & external drives. Using dual dell p2415q displays with primary uses: reading, writing, editing PDFs, music listening.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.