Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayKay514

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Just got an M1 Mac mini for work.

Experiencing some odd issues with it, with displays not waking from sleep, and an external SSD that randomly stops being recognized by the system. (Just updated to the latest Big Sur version.)

Disk issues: I have two SanDisk SATA SSDs in a Sabrent 4-disk USB external dock, one as a scratch disk for Google Drive, the other for Time Machine backups. I’ve used this dock with my old MacBook Pro without incident.

Now, as part of my new employers’ security policy, all disks have to be encrypted. I have FileVault on the main drive, and formatted the two external disks as GUID / APFS Encrypted.

When restarting the computer, and occasionally on wake from sleep, the Google Drive disk reports as unrecognized, and when I go to look at in Disk Utility, it appears to have reverted to a stock blank disk - no name, no format, no content.

I am wondering if this is because Drive for Workspaces is that “file stream” thing vs how Google Backup & Sync works (like classic Drive or Dropbox)?

Secondly: I use two Dell P2415Q UHD monitors that have HDMI and full-size DisplayPort inputs. According to the specs I should easily be able to use both; I have one on DisplayPort via a CalDigit TS3 Plus TB3 dock, and the other plugged via HDMI.

Initially the HDMI monitor wouldn’t work until I swapped for a newer cable; now, the DisplayPort screen seems to flake out especially after waking from sleep. (It’s a new, quality cable, so I don’t think that’s the issue.)

I’m wondering if it’s a frame rate issue, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to set that from the Mac side. I don’t need super high refresh rates so 30Hz is fine.

Any thoughts?

GJtn7

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2021
The Dell P2415Q has HDMI version 1.4 input. It’s an older HDMI spec that only supports 4K resolution @ 30hz and cannot do 4K@60hz. Monitors with HDMI version 2.0 and above support 4k@60hz.

It’s best to use DisplayPort input on both P2415Q monitors.

You could also check to see if a new USB-C to DisplayPort cable/adapter connected directly from the M1 Mini to the monitor performed better than the DisplayPort connection through the CalDigit dock.

Reactions: 4sallypat

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
P2415Q purchased after February 2016 with hardware version A03 can enable HDMI 2.0 support, but it is disabled by default. You can refer Dell's guide on how to enable HDMI 2.0 support.

Reactions: GJtn7
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.