Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Ever since upgrading to Big Sur 11.4, my M1 mini has been flickering in certain scenarios with my display (Dell S2721QS.) I haven't noticed it pre-11.4, though I heard others were having M1 "flickering" issues since launch. I can't tell from the descriptions if they're the same as mine.

For example, I'll occasionally load a web page in Chrome and the whole screen starts flickering subtly (looks almost like viewing camera footage where the shutter speed doesn't match the screen's refresh rate, if you know that look, but more subtle). Strangely, scrolling down a notch will often "fix" it and I can re-trigger it by scrolling back up. Occasionally, it'll happen in Spotify when I go to a certain album page. Going back to the artist view solves it, and then back to the same album triggers again. Whenever this happens, I can usually go back to the blank desktop and see the flicker there as well, so it's not limited to the app window.

My question to you all is - any other mini owners have this issue, especially since the 11.4 upgrade? I've only noticed it 5-6 times over the last couple of weeks but it's been annoying when it does it, and extremely unpredictable.

v0n

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
Yes, any monochrome picture when displayed on dark mode browser background is able to trigger this bug. Some people even get it when they open app menu with white text on dark background.

harrisonjr98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 15, 2019
Yes, any monochrome picture when displayed on dark mode browser background is able to trigger this bug. Some people even get it when they open app menu with white text on dark background.
It does seem to persist even when I minimize the window though? Is there any other discussion thread you'd be able to link me to about this bug specifically with recent chatter (I was able to find a ton of "flickering" reports from early on in the M1's life cycle that don't match my current issue.) Hoping and praying to confirm it as a software and not a hardware problem, and then I can rest easy waiting for a fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.