Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kzly

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 17, 2023
Hey everyone,

I am torn between:

1) M1 Pro 10-core / 16GB RAM / 1TB SSD
2) M2 Pro 10-core / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD ($200 cheaper)

I thought about upgrading to 32GB RAM on M2 Pro, but I think 16GB is enough for my Web/IOS development workflow (for now). I also don't absolutely require 1TB SSD, but M1 Pro 512GB is completely out of stock at the moment. I don't find wifi, bluetooth, hdmi upgrades on M2 pro attractive for my usage, and I feel that the overall opinion on M2 Pro is very mixed and debatable.. (slightly quieter speakers, base SSD speed, smaller heatsink? etc).

I currently own M1 Air 8GB 256GB so definitely need an upgrade (or should I just endure until m3 comes out..?). My plan is to get either m1 pro or m2 pro now, use it until we see the OLED display on Macbook Pros (I presume 2026/2027 according to some rumors).

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

Last edited:

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I think you would be fine with the M1 Pro. I'm not sure what your thoughts are when it comes to upgrading to a new laptop, but I normally plan to keep mine for at least 5 years so I tend to get a little more than what I currently need.

Also, Best Buy has various M1 Pro / Max configurations in both the 14 and 16 inch models on sale up to $700 off and I believe they're in stock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.