Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
Hey Guys, I am starting a tech youtube channel and I'm planning to get the 14 inch MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip for video editing. I am currently using the MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) and it lacks at editing videos, the videos I usually deal with are ether 1080HD or 2K I'm having trouble deciding whether I should get the 8 core CPU and 14core GPU or the 10core CPU with 14Core GPU, I edit with Filmora X, which one should I get?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I don’t have one yet, but everything I have read, heard and seen, tell me that the 8cores CPU would be plenty.

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
When you have a revenue stream from that channel then buy the MacBook you can afford.
yea true, but this mac I'm using right now isn't powerful enough for the videos this, which one do you think I should get? the 8 core or 10 Core?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
You are going to get some pretty random and unreliable answers all over the place on an internet forum.

I suggest watch some youtuber reviews, they are pretty good at reviewing youtuber workloads.

I suspect the 8-core 14" (which I have) will be fine for what you currently do, but I have not used Filmora. If you think it might work for you, I suggest buy from Apple and try out for 14 days (if you are in a country where that is an option); the 14 day return period is specifically for this purpose. Too many people spend too much money on expensive upgrades because they are unsure, without even trying out a lower-spec model first.

IMO, youtube is trending to 4K. I suggest plan for the future. A few years ago most did 1080, saying nobody cared about 4k. Now the same youtubers are doing 4k.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick Piao

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
You are going to get some pretty random and unreliable answers all over the place on an internet forum.

I suggest watch some youtuber reviews, they are pretty good at reviewing youtuber workloads.

I suspect the 8-core 14" (which I have) will be fine for what you currently do, but I have not used Filmora.

IMO, youtube is trending to 4K. I suggest plan for the future. A few years ago most did 1080, saying nobody cared about 4k. Now the same youtubers are doing 4k.
yea that makes sense, I might switch over to final cut for more features and accessibilities in the future, how does the 8core preform for you?

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
yea that makes sense, I might switch over to final cut for more features and accessibilities in the future, how does the 8core preform for you?
I do mainly photo editing, and little video editing, and have no complaints. I got 16GB RAM, but for some of my work 32GB might be some benefit.

Check out this video at this time step, it appears to answer your specific question comparing 8 core and 10-core.

Maxtech has a bunch of other comparison videos. Remember the M1 Max has twice the number of video encoders

Last edited:

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
I do mainly photo editing, and little video editing, and have no complaints. I got 16GB RAM, but for some of my work 32GB might be some benefit.

Check out this video at this time step, it appears to answer your specific question comparing 8 core and 10-core.

Maxtech has a bunch of other comparison videos. Remember the M1 Max has twice the number of video encoders
thank you

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
The 13" MBPs from that era were really slow. I used to have a 2015, similar spec. The 14" MBP will seem 10 times as fast
yea I agree, I used it for light workload and just daily use, but it doesn't perform well on video editing though, so I need a mac with higher preformence

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
what specs would you suggest?
This is where everyone is going to have a different opinion. A lot depends on how price sensitive you are, how long you plan to keep it, and how much increased performance means to you. I personally tend to go for the lower end specs, and upgrade to a new model more often. Others max out the specs, hoping to "future-proof" and keep it a long time, or it is for their work and performance is much more important that saving on cost.

I suggest a base 14" but with at least 1TB SSD as a starting point. More than that is, in my opinion, nice but not necessary, and really depends on how much you care about spending more, etc. Some will say get 32GB RAM, some will say get bigger SSD, some will say get the Max, but these are also significantly extra cost.

For video editing, I suggest either plan on using it with a monitor (not necessarily all the time), or consider the 16" instead if you will never use a monitor.

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
This is where everyone is going to have a different opinion. A lot depends on how price sensitive you are, how long you plan to keep it, and how much increased performance means to you. I personally tend to go for the lower end specs, and upgrade to a new model more often. Others max out the specs, hoping to "future-proof" and keep it a long time, or it is for their work and performance is much more important that saving on cost.

I suggest a base 14" but with at least 1TB SSD as a starting point. More than that is, in my opinion, nice but not necessary, and really depends on how much you care about spending more, etc. Some will say get 32GB RAM, some will say get bigger SSD, some will say get the Max, but these are also significantly extra cost.

For video editing, I suggest either plan on using it with a monitor (not necessarily all the time), or consider the 16" instead if you will never use a monitor.
alright thanks, man, appreciate it! my budget is around 2,500 dollars and I plan to keep it for about 1-2 years? depends on how the channel goes, I plan to go with final cut in the future and I'm looking for a computer that can handle a decent amount of workload on the final cut in the meantime, what would you suggest?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
So starting a tech channel and need help with…tech? I’m sure you’ll do fine. Lol. Get the base.

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
So starting a tech channel and need help with…tech? I’m sure you’ll do fine. Lol. Get the base.
I mean we always keep learning right? Its good to see ways other people see things and improve my knowledge

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
so should i get the 8 core or 10 core?
When I or others suggest the base, it means the lowest spec model, which is 8-core for the 14", and 10-core for the 16".
No-one can know your exact situation or your future needs. Can only provide some input for you to consider, and I have already done so. (Asking the same question again is essentially just bumping the thread, which is supposed to be avoided). Good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
When I or others suggest the base, it means the lowest spec model, which is 8-core for the 14", and 10-core for the 16".
No-one can know your exact situation or your future needs. Can only provide some input for you to consider, and I have already done so. (Asking the same question again is essentially just bumping the thread, which is supposed to be avoided). Good luck and enjoy.
Alright thank you Sir

Reactions: wilberforce

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I tend to think if Ione just surfs the net and do email than the 14 Mac. Pro is what you want but if yo are a video producer or make money is pictures money making and video crunching and go for the 16¡

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
NC
I traded in my 2016 15" and bought the MBP M1 13...portability is nice but the 13" just didn't seem right for me, I returned it.
I am waiting right now for the iMac 2022 to come out. I agree with the above poster, I'd get the 16 for video editing....

Personally I'm sticking with my 2015 iMac 5K right now and will upgrade to the new iMac's when they come out in 2022. There nothing nicer than having a beautiful 27" 5K display....

Patrick Piao

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
I traded in my 2016 15" and bought the MBP M1 13...portability is nice but the 13" just didn't seem right for me, I returned it.
I am waiting right now for the iMac 2022 to come out. I agree with the above poster, I'd get the 16 for video editing....

Personally I'm sticking with my 2015 iMac 5K right now and will upgrade to the new iMac's when they come out in 2022. There nothing nicer than having a beautiful 27" 5K display....
yea the Imacs were amazing, apple spring event 2022?

nothingtoseehere

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2020
alright thanks, man, appreciate it! my budget is around 2,500 dollars and I plan to keep it for about 1-2 years? depends on how the channel goes, I plan to go with final cut in the future and I'm looking for a computer that can handle a decent amount of workload on the final cut in the meantime, what would you suggest?
OK throwing away all the usual disclaimers, I would commit myself:
Get the 8-core.
Why?
  • You plan with a short span of usage, so if after 1 year you think you need more power and the channel runs well (good luck with that!), you can get a bigger machine
  • Even the 8-core will, as @wilberforce wrote, be crazy fast compared to your current MBP
  • There is a limited budget
  • Waiting for a big iMac takes too much time. You need the power now. Again: After 1 year you can get a newer device, MBP or iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.