Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hello all,

Could anyone owning an M1 MBP Pro or Max with 32GB test the following for me? Would be highly appreciated.

- Open a mix of Safari (100-150 tabs), Signal or Whatsapp, Mail, messages, Notes and the occasional Word/Excel document.
- Measure mem usage
- Then in addition to that, open Photoshop Lightroom, preferably with a substantial catalog, and edit some photos, then also open Photoshop, edit one or two large images
- measure mem usage again

Context:
On my 15" Late 2013 MBP, I use the above base mix daily. I have 16 GB RAM. When I want to use Lightroom Classic (150000 images in catalog) and Photoshop I need to restart first or at least close all other apps. If I don't the system memory will get filled up and the machine will get slow.

If I clear memory first, the LR/PS experience is still enjoyable, even on a machine this old. So the RAM is the bottleneck for me.

Assuming I buy a new M1 Pro or Max now and keep it for another 9 years, I am debating 32 GB (Pro) vs 64 GB (Max) of RAM. As system resources used by apps like Photoshop and LR increase substantially over the years, I must buy on the safe side. So if I'd get 32GB (preferred config, cheaper), it would need to have lots of headroom for the future.

So in order to make a good decision, I would like to know how much memory is used on a 32 GB unit, with the above combination of apps open simultaneously.

I realise this question is aimed at users that already have Lr and Ps on their systems, but there must be a few here on the forum.

Thanks!

Pete

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.