Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
I just want to know if it's worth an upgrade. CPU performance I don't really care as I wouldn't be using any CPU-intensive tasks, but GPU could matter as I might play some WoW and Steam games, etc. But other than the material upgrades, is the battery life better on the M3, is there more heat on the M3, and are there more software features that were allowed on the M3 (e.g. does M3 MBP allow more output like triple screens instead of dual screens, and allows HDMI 2.1, or something like in those lines?) I really don't know any upgrades that Apple didn't mention aside from the CPU and GPU so I would like to know. I tried Googling but no luck. I really like my M1 MBP for day-to-day tasks but I just wished GPU was a bit stronger for games and the battery life was a bit better as the battery drains a bit faster. Thanks in advance guys!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you buy from Apple's online refurbished store where you live?

If so, I'd suggest the m1pro MBP 14".
Get the 1tb SSD (instead of 512gb).
You might also consider getting 32gb of RAM (instead of the "stock" 16gb).

Buying refurbished will "make your money go further"...

Reactions: Student of Life

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Can you buy from Apple's online refurbished store where you live?

If so, I'd suggest the m1pro MBP 14".
Get the 1tb SSD (instead of 512gb).
You might also consider getting 32gb of RAM (instead of the "stock" 16gb).

Buying refurbished will "make your money go further"...

Hi I am in the US but I want to understand why I should upgrade to 1TB or 32GB. My usage doesn’t require those extra. My questions were more about material differences such as what I mentioned above (eg M3 might support one more monitor or having HDMI2.1). Thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You said "games".
I'm not a gamer (I don't have any, zero), but I'm going to GUESS that using them requires a good deal of RAM to get the best performance. Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps others will comment.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
You said "games".
I'm not a gamer (I don't have any, zero), but I'm going to GUESS that using them requires a good deal of RAM to get the best performance. Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps others will comment.
No problem, but 16GB is more than enough for any usual games or at least the games that I play. Thanks for your input though. I’m just hoping to get some ideas whether M3 came out with new features that M1 doesn’t have, not the ones that’s already there that just upgraded such as CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Unless you need to upgrade because you don't have enough RAM or storage - IMO the M1 to M3 upgrade isn't worth the cost.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
Unless you need to upgrade because you don't have enough RAM or storage - IMO the M1 to M3 upgrade isn't worth the cost.
Thanks for the opinion. I'm still hoping to get some material differences. I thought from M3 there was some major differences aside from the performance like supporting one additional output monitor. Maybe I got it wrong.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
No problem, but 16GB is more than enough for any usual games or at least the games that I play. Thanks for your input though. I’m just hoping to get some ideas whether M3 came out with new features that M1 doesn’t have, not the ones that’s already there that just upgraded such as CPU, RAM, GPU, etc.
The M3 adds a hardware decoder for AV1 where as its software decoding on M1/M2 SoC's. The M3 GPU offers GPU ray tracing and Mesh shading. That can make some games run a few frames faster and some effects are slightly better. But doing normal things not much difference. The AV1 is only applicable for say YouTube 8K HDR (Brave browser), where as VP9 is used for You Tube 4K HDR which is more then enough for most people's usage.

Here's some actual data
Advantages of Apple M3 Pro
  • Newer - released 2-years later
  • More modern manufacturing process – 3 versus 5 nanometers
  • More powerful Apple M3 Pro GPU (19-core) integrated graphics: 7.4 vs 5.3 TFLOPS
  • 36% faster in a single-core Geekbench v6 test - 3158 vs 2328 points
  • Has 2 more physical cores
  • Supports up to 36 GB LPDDR5-6400 RAM
Advantages of Apple M1 Pro
  • Supports quad-channel memory
  • Around 51.2 GB/s (33%) higher theoretical memory bandwidth

Last edited:

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
The M3 adds a hardware decoder for AV1 where as its software decoding on M1/M2 SoC's. The M2 GPU offers GPU ray tracing and Mesh shading. That can make some games run a few frames faster and some effects are slightly better. But doing normal things not much difference. The AV1 is only applicable for say YouTube 8K HDR (Brave browser), where as VP9 is used for You Tube 4K HDR which is more then enough for most people's usage.

Here's some actual data
Advantages of Apple M3 Pro
  • Newer - released 2-years later
  • More modern manufacturing process – 3 versus 5 nanometers
  • More powerful Apple M3 Pro GPU (19-core) integrated graphics: 7.4 vs 5.3 TFLOPS
  • 36% faster in a single-core Geekbench v6 test - 3158 vs 2328 points
  • Has 2 more physical cores
  • Supports up to 36 GB LPDDR5-6400 RAM
Advantages of Apple M1 Pro
  • Supports quad-channel memory
  • Around 51.2 GB/s (33%) higher theoretical memory bandwidth

Thanks, the tangible difference here (finally!) I see is the hardware decoder implemented. So I guess GPU upgrade hardware-wise is the tangible upgrade I see. Is there HDMI 2.1 support or anything else in that nature? Thanks.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Thanks, the tangible difference here (finally!) I see is the hardware decoder implemented. So I guess GPU upgrade hardware-wise is the tangible upgrade I see. Is there HDMI 2.1 support or anything else in that nature? Thanks.
The M2 models bumped the MBP's HDMI to 2.1.
But the more advanced HDMI port on the new MacBook Pro models with M2 Pro and ‌M2‌ Max chips means they now provide support for 8K displays up to 60Hz and 4K displays up to 240Hz.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
For your use case the M3 would be a good upgrade. As mentioned above, there have been significant improvements to the GPU. Max out the RAM if you can afford it.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Interesting: The 16GB of the M2 doesn't help at all against the 8GB M3.
I do not think those tests were designed to evaluate the effect of additional memory. Load up a few large AI models and the difference would become apparent.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
For your use case, the M3 would be a good upgrade. As mentioned above, there have been significant improvements to the GPU. Max out the RAM if you can afford it.
Yeah, I know the GPU was a pretty significant upgrade surprisingly. I know that because I had a chance to test out M2 (not M2 Pro) and it was still better than M1 in my memory when I was playing World of Warcraft, so I can see how M3 Pro will even be better. But having that HDMI 2.1 support and more external monitor upgrades is also a tangible upgrade for me. But I'm not sure if I should just wait for M4 because the price did increase now that MBP 14 comes out with a nonpro chip (just M3) which should be lower power than M1 Pro, correct? Unless the M3 chip is now equivalent to the M1 Pro then that's much better than getting the M3 Pro in my case because of significantly increased battery life that can offset my needs (I don't need super computing power anyway, but I do game).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.