Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_BJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Australia
Will future MacBook Pros come with optional M1 Ultra or will it be strictly desktop only? MacBook Ultra isn’t the worst name ever ?

Fomalhaut

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2020
Will future MacBook Pros come with optional M1 Ultra or will it be strictly desktop only? MacBook Ultra isn’t the worst name ever ?
Highly doubtful if you look at the size of the thermal management solution in the Mac Studio....

Apple must think that this is necessary for optimal performance, so I don't see this going into a laptop, unless if were down clocked so much that it wasn't much faster than the M1 Max.

Reactions: Janichsan

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
Highly doubtful if you look at the size of the thermal management solution in the Mac Studio....

Apple must think that this is necessary for optimal performance, so I don't see this going into a laptop, unless if were down clocked so much that it wasn't much faster than the M1 Max.

This is the answer. Its been a long time since a mini or a mini derivative held the performance crown next to the MacBook Pro in both GPU and CPU but here we are. It's the fastest Mac...ever...

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Apple should kill off the 13" laptops...

New Apple laptop line-up...
  • 14" MacBook - Mn
  • 16" MacBook Studio - Mn Pro/Max
  • 18" MacBook Pro - Mn Ultra

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
I don't think so. Apple wants thin and quiet laptop with long battery life. So there is not a chance they will put the M1 Ultra in the 16". They could do it in theory, but it won't happen.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
18" being the thickness?

No, seriously, as Fomalhaut already pointed out, the Mx Ultra obviously produces too much heat for a laptop.

Not really. If Apple made gaming laptops, they could easily fit in a M1 Ultra in it. But those are not the type of laptops Apple makes. They could do it if they really wanted to.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Apple should kill off the 13" laptops...

New Apple laptop line-up...
  • 14" MacBook - Mn
  • 16" MacBook Studio - Mn Pro/Max
  • 18" MacBook Pro - Mn Ultra
The line up needs to include an ultra portable fanless 12" or 13".

I would prefer 12" which would have a nice progression 12-14-16-18.

But as others say, the 18" M1 Ultra is probably not feasible, but it would be a beast even with a lowly M1 Max ;)

bobmans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2020
No,
1. Apple can’t cool an Ultra chip in a Macbook chassis
2. Even if they could, they can’t provide enough power to the chip when on Battery power
3. Make a bigger laptop with a beefier cooling solution and beefier battery? Not happening as MBP battery is already at the limit of what’s allowed on airplanes.

Ultra is a desktop chip.

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.