Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccollins11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Recently purchased the M2 MacBook Air and I’m looking for an HDMI adapter. When I look up compatibility on the Apple Store app, the only option is the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. Are there any fundamental differences between the previous thunderbolt ports and the one on the M2? Any reason that I can’t just get any usb-c to hdmi adapter off of Amazon?

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
There shouldn't be any difference between the M1 and M2 Thunderbolt. I haven't noticed anything. I use a USB-C dock on my desk in my home office and in my work office I use a USB-C ethernet adapter. Neither is Thunderbolt but they work identically on either the M1 MBA or M2 MBA.

Reactions: ccollins11

ccollins11

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
There shouldn't be any difference between the M1 and M2 Thunderbolt. I haven't noticed anything. I use a USB-C dock on my desk in my home office and in my work office I use a USB-C ethernet adapter. Neither is Thunderbolt but they work identically on either the M1 MBA or M2 MBA.
That was my assumption and didn’t want to spend $70 on the apple dongle didn’t need to. I’ll report back if I run into any issues. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.