Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imDavid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2021
Canada
Hey folks,

I left the MBP M1Max for about 30mins while I had dinner. Only Safari and Edge were open with a youtube video paused. I came back at it was at the login screen. Panic were common last week when I had a thunderbolt 3 dock attached and the computer went to sleep.

Is there anyway to decode these panic logs? I tried to talk to AppleCare chat support but they didn't know how to read it.

This will be kernel panic #6 since mid November. :\

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 6.20.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 6.20.41 PM.png
    664.2 KB · Views: 278
  • Screen Shot6.png
    Screen Shot6.png
    639.2 KB · Views: 133

imDavid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2021
Canada
which TB3 dock was involved?
It’s a Wavlink “Thunderbolt 3, 4K display docking station” from Amazon.

One of the issues with that one was it would disconnect and reconnect external TB drives over and over again while the MBP slept.

Gnattu

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2020
From my own experiences, the kernel panics mostly comes from problematic drivers and/or corrupt configurations, but it is much more frequent on Big Sur, and I seldom see it happening on Monterey.

My panic history mainly from:

The smbfs driver on Big Sur, sometimes panics the kernel on sleep if you mounted an smb share over the network and did not unmount it before the computer enters sleep. Fixed in a later version of Big Sur (cannot confirm which) for me.

Corrupt network configuration on Big Sur. It only happened to me once and I have no idea why the configuration is corrupted. With this problem, my Mac turns into a purple screen immediately after I plug in my Thunderbolt dock, and causing a reboot loop. The root cause was that something related to the ethernet adapter in my dock is wrong and the kernel panics as soon as it detected the NIC in the dock. The problem went away after I reset the network configuration using a new location and removing the old one.

JVH211

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2021
I originally had a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, running Big Sur, and with a cheap power pasthrough dock. I would get kernel panics about 70% of the time on Shutdown, and the MacBook would restart. If I immediately then did a second shutdown, it would behave. My panics were most often "panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff80066c0213): "PowerOff timed out in phase 'Notifying power plane drivers'. Total 30000 ms:", less often the phase was 'Notifying priority clients'. Once it was 'Halt/Restart Timed Out'. It almost looks like the shutdown period is limited to 30 seconds, and something is slowing down the process. The only thing that seemed to solve the problem was if I unplugged the dock and powered off my external monitor before invoking the shutdown.

Next I changed to a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1Max and upgraded to a CalDigit TS3 Plus, and MacOS Monterey. Everything different except the monitor, and I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same solution!

I moved across using the Migration Assistant, and I've had nothing but trouble. Time Machine won't backup my external drive, although it does use it to calculate the size of the backup (this might have been caused by TimeMachineEditor, although uninstalling it hasn't helped); moving a 300KB file from the internal drive to an external drive invokes a progress bar!; "recent" files displays in apps actually take time to load; it doesn't seem to have indexed the external drives, as I often have to wait while a "Loading" timer pops up... the thing is slower than my old MacBook! I'm now going to have to clean off everything, install a fresh OS and then get the thing checked to make sure it's not a lemon, before arduously reloading all my 3rd-party apps.

At least I now know I'm not the only one with this kernel panic problem...

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Hey folks,

I left the MBP M1Max for about 30mins while I had dinner. Only Safari and Edge were open with a youtube video paused. I came back at it was at the login screen. Panic were common last week when I had a thunderbolt 3 dock attached and the computer went to sleep.

Is there anyway to decode these panic logs? I tried to talk to AppleCare chat support but they didn't know how to read it.

This will be kernel panic #6 since mid November. :\
You have the core 0 panic and the log also include the id of the task too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.