Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yurkennis

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2010
Is there any practical reason to choose M1Max over M1Pro for a heavy office usage / occasional disk-intensive data analysis / heavy photo editing?

I'm buying laptop to last something around 5 years (my 2010MBP, upgraded, is still running smoothly).
In heavy office usage my typical HW-stretching apps are Excel with sometime huge datasets; Chrome and Firefox with dozens..hundreds of tabs (don't ask)

I'm happy with 27" Intel-based 2017 iMac expanded to 72GB RAM.
Macbook will be likely a secondary device--so I'm less demanding about it.

I tried using 13" M1 MBP, 16GB for two weeks: seems fine for 2020, but not sure it will be fast enough in 2026.

My current config of choice for 16" MBP is 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, M1Pro.
Is it worth it to pay (not that significant) extra $200 for M1Max in my situation, while staying with 32GB?

Essentially it's purely choice "400GB/s vs 200GB/s" for memory bandwidth, the question is whether it will actually make difference anytime between now and 2026 given my usage patterns.

Neither of GPU/ML core numbers, 4 ext displays, video encoding performance seem to be relevant for me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.