Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2018
Has anyone noticed with their MacBook Air m2 that one or more of the 3 seems (where bottom plate meets unibody) isn’t flush? Mine has two where it feel like the bottom plate is a hair higher than it should be resulting in a noticeable raise/slightly sharp feel on the seem when picking it up or holding it etc. Not really an issue but don’t really want to take a go on the QC lottery if it’s pretty much on all of them.

I tried taking off and reinstalling the bottom plate but it made no real difference.

Hope I’ve explained that well enough! 😅

Reactions: helloapple1

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Yea I know what you are talking about where edges aren't smooth and is sharp. I had few of those that I needed up returning for a new one. This one is a lot better on every sides.

Reactions: compwiz1202

OMGste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2018
Did you return for that issue or seprate? I’ve got a pretty good screen on this one so reluctant to swap it. Wondered it could be a bottom plate issue what I could get replaced by Apple.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I had the same issue on a couple of mine and it is fairly common. I'm ocd and definitely noticed this but it was quickly forgotten and never bothers me. I had them replaced for other issues but they all had this issue with the bottom plate, just is what it is. If everything else about it is good, i wouldn't risk replacing it and getting something else that's got a bigger issue. The joys of mass produced consumer products unfortunately

Reactions: Shirasaki

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
Did you return for that issue or seprate? I’ve got a pretty good screen on this one so reluctant to swap it. Wondered it could be a bottom plate issue what I could get replaced by Apple.

For me the return was for a light bleed issue.

OMGste

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2018
I had the same issue on a couple of mine and it is fairly common. I'm ocd and definitely noticed this but it was quickly forgotten and never bothers me. I had them replaced for other issues but they all had this issue with the bottom plate, just is what it is. If everything else about it is good, i wouldn't risk replacing it and getting something else that's got a bigger issue. The joys of mass produced consumer products unfortunately
Such a shame though. Would of expected apple to have better QC. I did try taking off and reinstalling but it didn’t make any difference. I wonder what causes it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Such a shame though. Would have expected apple to have better QC. I did try taking off and reinstalling but it didn’t make any difference. I wonder what causes it.
it can be caused by a number of factors like lower manufacturing tolerance, material issue and more. It is just one of many side effects of ridiculous profit margin, mass rapid production and resulted lower quality.

Reactions: VaruLV

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Has anyone noticed with their MacBook Air m2 that one or more of the 3 seems (where bottom plate meets unibody) isn’t flush? Mine has two where it feel like the bottom plate is a hair higher than it should be resulting in a noticeable raise/slightly sharp feel on the seem when picking it up or holding it etc. Not really an issue but don’t really want to take a go on the QC lottery if it’s pretty much on all of them.

I tried taking off and reinstalling the bottom plate but it made no real difference.

Hope I’ve explained that well enough! 😅
I’m glad I found your thread! Is this what you’re talking about? Pasting my comment from another thread…

I have both M2 MacBook Airs (13 and 15).

I noticed the bottom corners where the side meets the bottom on the 13 Air is perfectly smooth to touch.

But on the 15 Air, everything looks perfectly aligned…but I can feel the joint where the side meets the bottom.

Can anyone else feel this on their new 15 Air? It feels a tiny bit sharp when picking it up where the side meets the bottom. Wondering if I have an issue with mine or if this is normal for the 15 Air?

IMG_6571.jpeg
IMG_6572.jpeg

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
This is normal (due to it being very common, at least) and is found on most M2 Airs (both 13" and 15") that I've been around. I thought it was odd at first, but most display models at the Apple Store have the same thing in varying degrees.

Some will feel smoother than others and a select few may feel totally smooth. It's not all the way around, just some parts of the seams. In my experience, it's something you can feel, not really see. Both my 15" and 13" M2 Airs have this slightly (more on either side versus the front/back).

Not sure why Apple was able to get the M1 Air's and new MacBook Pro's bottom cover seams perfectly aligned but not the bottom covers on M2 Airs. Perhaps it's due to the thinness of the bottom cover compared to the others (I've always theorized that the M2 Air's bottom cover was too thin to have the embossed branding like the Pros - not just a cost savings or model differentiation thing).

It could also be due to Apple's insistence on using excessive clips on the bottom causing some tension. Perhaps a combination of the two.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
This is normal (due to it being very common, at least) and is found on most M2 Airs (both 13" and 15") that I've been around. I thought it was odd at first, but most display models at the Apple Store have the same thing in varying degrees.

Some will feel smoother than others and a select few may feel totally smooth. It's not all the way around, just some parts of the seams. In my experience, it's something you can feel, not really see. Both my 15" and 13" M2 Airs have this slightly (more on either side versus the front/back).

Not sure why Apple was able to get the M1 Air's and new MacBook Pro's bottom cover seams perfectly aligned but not the bottom covers on M2 Airs. Perhaps it's due to the thinness of the bottom cover compared to the others (I've always theorized that the M2 Air's bottom cover was too thin to have the embossed branding like the Pros - not just a cost savings or model differentiation thing).

It could also be due to Apple's insistence on using excessive clips on the bottom causing some tension. Perhaps a combination of the two.
Yeah, my M2 Air (13) is almost perfectly flush. I’ve never noticed it before and after touching both sides I can very, very slightly feel it on the left side.

My M2 Air (15) was noticeable when I first picked it up. To the eye, it looks flush, but the piece definitely “catches” your fingers as you slide them underneath both sides (while picking it up).

I’m going to the Apple Store tomorrow…if the 15 Air is the same in store I’ll keep mine. If it’s perfectly flush, I may try swapping it.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I have two more M2 15" Airs and one new M2 13" Air in front of me (out of the boxes as I am helping family members set theirs up), and all of them have the 'seams you can feel' as well, and all are in different places on each unit.

Definitely go to the Apple Store to put your mind at ease as I think you'll find that most units will have the same feeling in varying degrees.

Since there are variances in components by the same supplier, or the same components that come from different suppliers, I personally wouldn't risk swapping it out if I was happy with the display, track pad, keyboard and so on. There is always a risk of getting stuck with a new unit that has bigger issues in other areas.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I have two more M2 15" Airs and one new M2 13" Air in front of me (out of the boxes as I am helping family members set theirs up), and all of them have the 'seams you can feel' as well, and all are in different places on each unit.

Definitely go to the Apple Store to put your mind at ease as I think you'll find that most units will have the same feeling in varying degrees.

Since there are variances in components by the same supplier, or the same components that come from different suppliers, I personally wouldn't risk swapping it out if I was happy with the display, track pad, keyboard and so on. There is always a risk of getting stuck with a new unit that has bigger issues in other areas.
Agreed, I've got too much going on to play the return game in hopes of getting a perfectly flush unit. I can only feel it when I place my hands on both sides and slide it underneath (which is where I feel the seam). It's a tiny bit rough, I just wanted to confirm you also felt the same on the sides.

Funny enough, where the front and back meet the bottom it's perfectly flush...this just appears to be on the sides for mine.

I'll live with it - just wanted to share on here as I have to assume someone else with a little bit of OCD like me may notice and want to search/find it's normal ha.

EDIT - TO CONFIRM, IT’S NOT SIMPLY A SEAM. WHEN SLIDING MY HAND UNDERNEATH TO PICK IT UP, IT SLIGHTLY CATCHES ON THE SEAM.

Last edited:

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
I can absolutely feel the very slight edge all the way around on my new silver base 15 Air. I actually kind of like it. That slight edge gives it a more tactile feel when I pick it up and it's... kind of nice. Just my two cents though. If it concerns you, or it's more of an extreme or sharp edge, then return or replace for sure.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I can absolutely feel the very slight edge all the way around on my new silver base 15 Air. I actually kind of like it. That slight edge gives it a more tactile feel when I pick it up and it's... kind of nice. Just my two cents though. If it concerns you, or it's more of an extreme or sharp edge, then return or replace for sure.
I went to the Apple Store and they ALL have the same "sharpness" feeling. I checked about 5 display models.

I did swap it out for a MacBook Pro (14) and I have to say the size is perfect for me...the 15 is great, but it was a little bigger than I expected coming from the 13 Air. The 14 MacBook Pro is the perfect size for me.

Just wanted to provide an update in case someone reads it in the future...the slight edge is normal!

Reactions: Saturn007

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
Oh yep me to with my Air 15

I actually posted pics of my machine in another thread where the subject came up. With how wide the feet are, it doesn't really bother me. The machine is very stable when sitting on a desk and not uncomfortable in my lap. It's really only something I notice when the computer is folded and I am carrying it.

tonywalker23

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2003
SC
came here looking… my m2 air 13" had this. got a 256gb after Black Friday and I noticed the bottom plate had some feel-able seems. the one that bothered me the most was the front. how I hold it when I am not at a desk, I feel it quote often. does bother me. ended up returning that one for a 512gb and the same thing. tried to ignore it...

this weekend our church secretary got an m3 air and when I was setting it up for her the first thing I noticed was the bottom plate is perfect all the way around. feels like a single piece instead of a seam that just ever so slighter digs into your thumbs.

Macbookey

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2023
M2 13” here and the seam can be seen but not felt. Mine is luckily perfectly flush all around and blends in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.