Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
So I've been loving my new m2 Mac mini (base model, 16/512) except for one thing - I cannot seem to maintain a high-speed connection to my wireless access point, despite the fact that my signal strength is 93% (according to Wifi Explorer).

I have an Orbi RBK50 system (router plus two satellites) and I've gone through all of the standard troubleshooting, none of which has helped;

• Separated the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs
  • Physically relocated the access point that the Mac is connecting to
  • Adjusted the radio strength from 25% to 50% to 100%
  • Tried DFS channels, as well as 36-44, one by one
  • Switched from HDMI to Thunderbolt for my display connection

No matter what I do, the Mac's wifi speeds are consistently erratic, meaning it varies between 866Mbps (my Orbi's fronthaul max speed) and 130Mbps or so. I'm attaching a screenshot to show this. A 1dBm difference in RSSI causes an 85% reduction in speed! Actually, that's not true - sometimes I've seen it at 130Mbps with even better RSSI and lower noise.

The problem I'm having clearly isn't about signal strength or interference or router placement. Is the M2 Mac mini's awful wifi a hardware issue, or is this something Apple can fix via an update?

m2_mini_crap_wifi.jpg

edit: just took another screenshot showing equivalent RSSI and less noise than the left side, above, but only managing 144Mbps, rather than 866Mbps. Right after taking this screenshot, the Tx Rate said 585Mbps. Seriously, WTF? These fluctuations are constant, and there's no physical change in my network (interference, physical obstructions like people walking around, etc. Nothing) ... Just constant up-and-down speeds from the Mac mini.

Screenshot 2023-05-03 at 20.14.11.png

Last edited:

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Just sat and watched it for a minute or two, and took these two screenshots about five seconds apart from each other, at the same RSSI and Noise levels, but wildly different speeds. Am I the only one this is happening to?

m2_780.jpg
m2_173.jpg

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I realize my reply will not solve your wifi problems, but...

Have you tried just plugging in an ethernet cable?
(even if you have to run a long cable around the room)

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I realize my reply will not solve your wifi problems, but...

Have you tried just plugging in an ethernet cable?
(even if you have to run a long cable around the room)
Of course - that's precisely why there's an Orbi satellite in the room - so that I can run an Ethernet cable!

That doesn't fix the wifi problem though, and not everyone is able to run a cable to their Mac mini like I did (nor should they HAVE to do so, because the mini's wifi shouldn't behave like this). I posted this to see if anyone else is experiencing this issue (is my Mac defective? Is it worth going through the hassle of an exchange or dealing with Apple's tech support, just to find out that it's a hardware issue or simply a bug that Apple can't or won't fix?) ...

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I'm just curious what the real life problems are with this?!
You mean, besides the fact that my wifi speed consistently bounces between 130Mbps and 866Mbps, despite having a direct line of sight to the wireless AP and signal strength of 93% ... ? Are you saying that's perfectly normal behavior and nothing to worry about trying to fix?

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Ok, so in case anyone else is having this problem, I may have found a solution. Since I switched "Preamble Mode" from auto to short, I haven't observed any more slowdowns - just a constant 866Mbps. 👍🏻

The setting is under Advanced/Advanced Setup/Wireless Settings. I have WMM, Beam-Forming, MU-MIMO, and Fast Roaming enabled. The only setting I changed was preamble (from auto to short) and since then it has been stable. Hopefully this helps, if anyone is experiencing this issue and actually wants to fix it rather than simply relying on a wired connection.

edit: after further observation, it's still fluctuating wildly. So the setting change on my router didn't actually solve the issue, after all. 😓

Last edited:

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Just to clarify your solution…the settings you changed are on the Orbi RBK50 system. The M2 Mac Mini required no adjustment to work properly.
Actually, after checking it a few more times, it turns out it's still doing the wild fluctuation. So, it's still messed up and the short preamble thing didn't help, after all.

I checked the wifi performance of my M1 MacBook Pro and it does the exact same thing (bouncing between 866Mbps and 130Mbps, and various speeds in between) so apparently this is just an Apple issue (an Apple silicon issue or a Ventura issue). My Windows 10 gaming rig never drops below 867Mbps (its distance from the AP is the same as the Mac mini's). So I guess it's just an Apple problem that everyone has. I suppose it's good to know that my Mac mini isn't defective, per se. lol

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Are you doing speed tests off onto the internet?

Have you tried speed test between two computers on your local network, to eliminate internet variable? I use iPerf: https://iperf.fr/
I posted the screenshots above - macOS is reporting speeds between 130Mbps and 866Mbps, at identical RSSI and noise levels, with no physical obstructions between the Mac mini and the AP, etc. That shouldn't be happening (and it doesn't happen on my Windows computer, connected to the same network on the same BSSID). I don't need iPerf to tell me that my speeds are fluctuating - macOS is quite clear about that!

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
just a thought but could it be due to different wifi clients. Your using a Mimo setup, is that perhaps meaning the mini is effected if other wifi clients are taking the focus. You could try with only the mini connected to the AP and see if the fluctuations remain the same. Perhaps you already tried this but I don't see it noted.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What speeds do you get with ethernet?
Do multiple ethernet tests yield consistent numbers?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Is the problem that the actual speed fluctuates or that the reported speed changes?

Is this like when I'm standing in the rain but my weather app says it's clear?

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I checked my own Orbi RBK50 and all of these are off which I believe are the default. Have you tried turning them off one by one to see if they help?

1683212273752.png

These forum posts indicates OFF is the factory setting:

Last edited:

lostless

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
I say it's perfectly normal. My mac book pro is doing the exact same thing. sticking to fast speed and for a few seconds drops. Direct line of sight to the router. There could be multiple reasons why it happens, the channel your're on may be noisy or heavily used. The amount of devices that are on the network may slow it down or the proximity of other devices to yours causing interference. Wireless technology is noisy and the environment can easily affect how good of signal you have at any given time.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
You mean, besides the fact that my wifi speed consistently bounces between 130Mbps and 866Mbps, despite having a direct line of sight to the wireless AP and signal strength of 93% ... ? Are you saying that's perfectly normal behavior and nothing to worry about trying to fix?
I wasn't "saying" anything. I simply asked what the real life problems are that made you test this.

Reactions: djc6

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
It looks to me like the TX rate moves based on how much data machine is transmitting?

I did a test with my M1 Macbook Pro & Plume setup -- TX rate was ~195mbs idle. Then i started writing a big file to my NAS, and it shot up to 816mbs and stayed near there until i stopped the transfer.

Are you doing sending a lot of upstream data? Most usage i would expect would be downstream, and I don't see the RX rate in the diags?

Reactions: MacCheetah3

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I wasn't "saying" anything. I simply asked what the real life problems are that made you test this.
I would've thought it was pretty obvious. You see, when you're transferring data, it's better to have higher transfer speeds than lower transfer speeds. So when my Mac mini drops from 866Mbps (a higher speed) to 130Mbps (a significantly lower speed) for no reason at all, it makes me wonder why that's happening and how I can resolve the issue, particularly because it never happens with my Windows computer on the same network.

I apologize for not making that clear to begin with, I guess I just thought it was kind of obvious.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I would've thought it was pretty obvious. You see, when you're transferring data, it's better to have higher transfer speeds than lower transfer speeds. So when my Mac mini drops from 866Mbps (a higher speed) to 130Mbps (a significantly lower speed) for no reason at all, it makes me wonder why that's happening and how I can resolve the issue, particularly because it never happens with my Windows computer on the same network.

I apologize for not making that clear to begin with, I guess I just thought it was kind of obvious.
You are actually still not making it clear... but your annoyance with me is very clear so I'll leave it.

I was more interested into what kind of up/downloading you do that makes a drop at those speed so obvious. I mainly say this because I live out in the boonies on top of a mountain with cellular based internet and I seed well over 5 TB of data 24/7 and up and download tons of data with pretty low speeds (think around 15-20Mbps). So unless your job requires a constant up/down stream I am not sure how it really has a direct affect on you.

I was also wondering what erratic means? just preemptively, yes I know what the word means but what is erratic and how do you know it is the mini that is causing the behavior.

But again.... no worries and hopefully you understand that I was not trying to insult you.

Last edited:

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
You are actually still not making it clear... but your annoyance with me is very clear so I'll leave it.

I was more interested into what kind of up/downloading you do that makes a drop at those speed so obvious. I mainly say this because I live out in the boonies on top of a mountain with cellular based internet and I seed well over 5 TB of data 24/7 and up and download tons of data with pretty low speeds (think around 15-20Mbps). So unless your job requires a constant up/down stream I am not sure how it really has a direct affect on you.

I was also wondering what erratic means? just preemptively, yes I know what the word means but what is erratic and how do you know it is the mini that is causing the behavior.

But again.... no worries and hopefully you understand that I was not trying to insult you.
First of all, kudos on the 5TB seeding. 👍🏻 I have a seedbox in the Netherlands because local laws are pretty strict here, but yeah - I end up transferring a lot of files between computers on my LAN after I grab them from my seedbox. Transferring a 10GB file at 130Mbps takes 11 minutes or so, but only takes 1.5 minutes at 866Mbps. That's part of the reason I spent so much money on a mesh wifi system - I wanted full speed coverage, in every room of my house. It works great on my Windows machine (I've never see the speed drop below 867Mbps) but on the Mac it's erratic (I watch it fluctuate between 130Mbps-866Mbps with no other traffic on the network or physical movement in the house).

cheetabrad

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2023
St. Louis, MO
I'm having the same issue. Had my mini for 2 weeks. Ping is high and download was half the normal speed and sometimes much lower. I haven't troubleshooted like you have, but it makes no sense. Iphone right next to mini gets 500 down and mini gets 120 down and is jumpy.

I'm using an asus wifi 6 single router that's 2 feet away from the mini.

BackToMac2017

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2017
I also have wifi issues. I bought my m2 new last Wednesday and wifi has been really bad. I've had like 4 computers in the same spot where the mini is and never had issues. I have a laptop close by without issues and my phone close by without issues. Earlier today it stopped responding on the 5GHz channel and it switched back to the 2.4GHz. The 5GHz completely had disappeared from the list and never came back. Just a few minutes ago 2.4GHz stopped responding so I disabled wifi and re-enabled it and it's all happy again and once again sees both -- at least happy enough I can use the Internet again. I'm trying to download an Android emulator and it keeps timing out. I doubt it's Google's end. I'm gonna try moving the mini and see if that helps and if not I'll have decide if I want to return it since I still have that option.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I don't need iPerf to tell me that my speeds are fluctuating - macOS is quite clear about that!

It confirms that the problem is with the local network and not some obscure issue with the internet modem. You can also use Network Speed tester, server and client.

the channel your're on may be noisy or heavily used.

If the results from WiFi explorer show channel contention that could contribute to the problem.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I'm really curious as to what the problem is... My mini M2 is on my desk next to my 2015 iMac and my 2015 MBA and my iPhone 13 and all are on the same network. Router is 10 feet away and all have the same connection speed up/down ping. I do not have a "all" smart home or a wireless non cellular home phone. I only have a few wireless bose speakers around and a few kitchen appliances that are connected to the wifi (fridge, ovens and cooktop). I do own/operate a lodging business and so we have guests using a different network but it ultimately comes in through the same router and as I said somewhere up there before I seed between 5/6TB 24/7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.