Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfjtdr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2023
When my new 2023 mac mini m2 (32g / 1TB / latest update) wakes from sleep - if i put it in manually, or it does so automatically - it starts to make the the "bonk" alert incessantly like a machine gun, as if a key is being held down (which it is not). Also the mouse only right clicks. This continues until i reset the machine. When it falls asleep, most times it wakes itself up immediately and begins the freak out.

I tried two different keyboards, a wired mac, and a bluetooth logitech. Two different mouses (mice?). Same result.

I use two monitors an LG 32" Ultrafine and a Viewsonic 17" portable. I tested each separately, thinking perhaps it was a hiccup in activating one or the other. Hdmi for the 32" and usb-c for the 17". Same result.

For now, when I use the computer I just turn off sleeping, and turn off the 'turn off display'. Not ideal, and I hate going about my day knowing there is something hiccuping with my new machine. Its distracting and may lead to other bugs down the line.

I uploaded a video of what is happening to you tube. link here.
Audio on to hear the full nonsense in all of its glory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anything to avoid having to wipe my computer and reinstall all of my music apps... as that took me a full week. I have a sinking feeling that might have to happen.

thank you.

adamlbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
South Yorkshire, UK
A Long shot, but do you have any bluetooth devices connected to the machine that you're unaware of? They might be connected to the Mac and 'stuck' thus causing your Mac to make the alert sound constantly, as though a key is being held down somewhere.

Check your bluetooth settings and make sure that everything that's connected is accounted for.

Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
A Long shot, but do you have any bluetooth devices connected to the machine that you're unaware of? They might be connected to the Mac and 'stuck' thus causing your Mac to make the alert sound constantly, as though a key is being held down somewhere.

Check your bluetooth settings and make sure that everything that's connected is accounted for.

I had a situation where that was the case...

*dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-[ad nauseam]*

...Magic Wireless Keyboard across the room attached to the iMac I was testing, and--somehow--some weighty things edged over the space-bar. Didn't know it until my MP decided to connect to it via BT

Drove me almost insane one afternoon ;)

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
That is, why I don't use (and like) wireless devices. :) With cables connected I never had any problems, OK, maybe only in situation, when the cable is broken or damaged.

Reactions: Chuckeee

sfjtdr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2023
Hi sorry for the late reply. Was traveling and couldn't check. Am home, checked, and nope... no extraneous Bluetooth devices. Also, opeter, I tried wired (mac keys and mouse) as well, and am still getting the problem.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP, that doesn't sound like a keyboard key stuck sound... but we're hearing a video recorded sound so maybe it does sound like that in person. Through the recording, it sounds like a woodpecker, apparently mischievous since "he" stops pecking when you click a menu on screen. ;)

I suggest isolating tech parts because you have a lot of stuff on that desk. Pare it down to the minimums. Sub in and out pieces if you can to see if it is always doing this (swap keyboard, swap mouse, swamp monitor (if you can). In other words, deduce a tech problem by isolating variables and then adding in one thing at a time.

For example, can you take the Mini to a buddy's house and see if you can make it do the same there- with the buddy's setup, keyboard, etc. That simple step would rule out a whole lot of possibilities.

I'm even suspicious of your speaker. Is that the Mini speaker or third party? If the latter, maybe it is actually making the sound while attempting to synch up with Mini on wake? If cabled, maybe the cable is loose or defective?

If you try the "take it to a buddy's home/office" thing and it repeats there- with all of the supporting stuff (keyboard, monitor, etc) left back at your place, I'd take the Mini into an Apple store and see if they can figure it out. If it is the Mini, they will probably swap it out for you... even if beyond your 14 days.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Anything to avoid having to wipe my computer and reinstall all of my music apps

Try:

1. Booting into safe mode
2. Creating a test user
3. Disabling all login items

I have an audio app that produces a lot of noise if it auto starts on boot. Disabled it and the sound stopped.

sfjtdr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2023
ok! I figured it out the culprit (not the solution). Thank goodness. Now I can sleep. haha.
It is an issue with bus powering a midi keyboard controller from usb A. Specifically the M-audio Hammer 88 pro.
For some reason when the mac wakes up, this causes said problem. Now the dinging stops when i unplug the USB A from the mac then plug it back in.

This was the last thing I would've thought... because the keyboard is sort of permanently installed in my studio desk, and never once in my many years of musical endeavors has a bus powered keyboard, audio device, or mixer ever been an issue. It wasn't an issue on my macs before this m2 pro mini. So its possible the m-audio 88 controller doesn't communicate well with m2 (or ventura) in this situation. Maybe the m-audio needs a firmware update for it? maybe its a two way thing on macs side as well. not sure. maybe a higher end cable? does that matter? Open to ideas.

So, my bad for not being more thorough before posting. I thought I tried everything, but my mind's eye just skipped over this.

EDIT: and thank you all for your input!

Last edited:

huxflux2003

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
Hello, I have the same problem with an M-Audio MIDI keyboard. I was wondering if you found a solution?

sfjtdr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2023
Hi. Nothing permenant. I think a firmware needs to be updated on either M-Audio’s or Apple’s (or both).BUT, I did find that a simple switching on and off of the keyboard stops it. No need to unplug the USB, or reset the machine. Not ideal, but certainly much easier to deal with, and doesn’t drive me crazy.

Also, it doesn’t seem to happen if logic or any DAW, or something communicating the keyboard is open.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.