Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
No, my concern is that you’re using USB spec cables, not solely Thunderbolt cables, for your USB-C connection. Apple states that both cables must be Thunderbolt.

FilthyMuppetInnuendo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
No, my concern is that you’re using USB spec cables, not solely Thunderbolt cables, for your USB-C connection. Apple states that both cables must be Thunderbolt.

EDIT: hopefully editing a comment allows the “quote” ping to pass. I had no idea you’d replied until I happened to come back to the thread because there was no quote. I want to extend you the same courtesy without double-posting.

Wait, you’re saying that Apple demands a pure Thunderbolt cable to output to a display that only has a USB-C input? I mean… it still doesn’t work. I bought one to see if the cable was the problem and it still didn’t work. The video and audio cut out randomly just like with the USB-C cable (which clearly works for outputting video/audio in its own right).

I refuse to buy another computer just to see if it’s the Mac Mini’s ports that are broken or the Mac Mini’s spec itself that can’t handle 5120x1440, despite claiming to be able to handle 2x 5120x2880 or 1x 6k and 1x 5120x2880 together. I don’t own anything else with a USB-C port to test that end. And therefore I have no idea if it’s the display’s USB-C port that is broken. I’m just desperately trying to rule out every other possible problem (cable, port on computer, specification the computer allows, etc.) before my 1 year warranty expires on the display so I can get it repaired for free, because I sure as hell can’t afford another one of these, either.

Last edited:

FilthyMuppetInnuendo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
I guess editing doesn’t ping. Sorry for the continued problems/questions, but please see above. I’m bracing myself for a four hour phone call with LG support just to be told “you’re only a few days from the end of your warranty; you don’t deserve a repair.”

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I guess editing doesn’t ping. Sorry for the continued problems/questions, but please see above. I’m bracing myself for a four hour phone call with LG support just to be told “you’re only a few days from the end of your warranty; you don’t deserve a repair.”
Correct, it didn’t ping! This did, though… obviously.

If the display doesn’t require DisplayPort to run, you shouldn’t need a Thunderbolt cable. However, I only cited Apple’s own information and have no superior knowledge above and beyond it.

Seeing 5120x1440 as your target output, I do know that non-standard/typical resolutions have caused problems on Macs in the past and that might do it. Why? This I cannot say. I wish I could be of more help. Sorry.

Godspeed on your call! I have had good luck with Apple and nearly out of warranty requirements and my wife had her screen, keyboard, and motherboard each separately replaced at no charge by Apple well after the warranty period. YMWV…

fivetrillion

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
I have a Dell Ultrasharp 27" and it doesn't work with M2 Mac mini via USB-C. It says no signal. But it works perfectly with Macbook Pro 16" M3 Pro.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
I have a Dell Ultrasharp 27" and it doesn't work with M2 Mac mini via USB-C. It says no signal. But it works perfectly with Macbook Pro 16" M3 Pro.
The only change between the monitor working and not working is the Mac attached to it? (No different breakout/dongles, cables)

I doubt you haven’t tried this but I’d be remiss if I didn’t ask: have you tried switching which Thunderbolt plug you use on the Mac mini? E.g. It works with neither of the relevant connections on the back of the mini (there could be a plug fault, which is why I would try both)

HDFan

macrumors 604
Jun 30, 2007
you’re saying that Apple demands a pure Thunderbolt cable to output to a display that only has a USB-C input?

USB-C is the name of the connector. It doesn't tell you the cable or ports ability to transfer power, plain, display or other data. These capabilities are cable dependent. Very confusing since just buying a USB-C cable doesn't tell you what it supports. You have to go into the detailed specifications to see what it can do.

fivetrillion

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
The only change between the monitor working and not working is the Mac attached to it? (No different breakout/dongles, cables)

I doubt you haven’t tried this but I’d be remiss if I didn’t ask: have you tried switching which Thunderbolt plug you use on the Mac mini? E.g. It works with neither of the relevant connections on the back of the mini (there could be a plug fault, which is why I would try both)
Yes, that's is only difference and I tried both usb-c ports on the mac mini :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.