Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackllaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Hey -

I have recently bought a Midnight MacBook Air M2, and managed to slightly scuff it before there are cases out (i have now got one on the way!!) and wondered if there was a blue/black midnight colour permanent marker which will slightly cover these very small scuffs on the bottom side of my MacBook?

Just want it so you cant see the scuffs with the case on. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you!

Reactions: helloapple1

jackllaing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
I'm going to guess a dark blue or black sharpie...

You may want to just throw a skin on it if you're worried about it. Those hard shell cases will probably create their own scratches
i agree - thanks for the idea - although its more of a scuff/tiny dent, and i just want to cover up the silver.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sharpies are for amateurs. People who know better use these, for a permanent blue-black chemical conversion coating on 6000 and 7000 series aluminum alloy.

Here's another method you can try that is specifically made for aluminum. It was mentioned in this forum post: MacBook Air M2 and Black Sharpie

Reactions: OrenLindsey

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
It will be a good idea to get a sleeve and a screen protector if you can,

I think midnight is one of the nicest colors I've seen,

keeping it protected will prevent any contact more of the time

AIabacus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Here's another method you can try that is specifically made for aluminum. It was mentioned in this forum post: MacBook Air M2 and Black Sharpie
Update, just used the Birchwood Casey Pen today for a ding on the front of my M2 midnight; it was about the size of a pinhead, silver, very visible. The pen worked pretty well! I did two applications according to the instructions.

From straight on it's practically invisible, from an angle you can still see it but it does look better than before -- depends on how the light hits it. Color matching is solid, a little darker than before and more like the black apple logo than the midnight.

I think that if you just have silver scratches around ports, it would work even better. Most of the lasting visibility for me isn't from color, but indentation. But I'm definitely happy with how it turned out, I was thinking about getting a shell if it didn't work and will not be doing that now.

I didn't include pics because they didn't come out very accurate to what it looks like in person.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.