Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Because that part in bold isn't universally true for all workloads. M2 isn't so much faster than M1 that M2 throttled is unarguably and universally faster than M1 un-throttled. M2 is not that big of an upgrade over M1.

Personally, I don't care about a hotter running laptop in general. If I'm buying a laptop that's hotter than its predecessor, then I had better be getting substantially more performance to justify that extra heat. But that's as far as I care about it, personally. But if you read how others on here talk about how hot Intel Mac laptops were on their laps, you'd think that every fraction of a Fahrenheit degree mattered.
I’ll just say again that in all real world situations that I’ve seen the M2 is always faster at the same task than the M1.

As for heat, the M2 doesn’t get noticeably warmer on your lap than the M1.

Reactions: Tagbert

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I’ll just say again that in all real world situations that I’ve seen the M2 is always faster at the same task than the M1.

I've seen otherwise. But again, I only care to argue this so much. :p

As for heat, the M2 doesn’t get noticeably warmer on your lap than the M1.
Incidentally, I don't care about how warm my lap gets using an M2 Mac; I still own PCs and Intel Mac laptops that will always be warmer and those never really bothered me (beyond always trying to be conscious of making sure there was proper airflow while the thing is on my lap).

Reactions: Scarrus

Droid13

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
United Kingdom
While this debate continues allow me to butt in and say: I have continued to use my MBA M2 professionally and on the go; fantastic performance and outstanding battery life in a small and unobtrusive package that along with my other equipment fits within the very tight constraints of my transport tolerances.

Fanless design is brilliant for noise and I don't have to pick or vacuum fluff out of any vents.

iStat tells me that whenever it gets warmer than the room temperature it normally cruises at the heat dissipates rapidly once the task is over.

None of this seems a step backwards to me.

Now; back to work for me. You folks carry on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.