Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkdas0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2023
Hi everyone, my device is M2 Max MBP 16 (12c 38c).

Yesterday while using UTM (running Ubuntu 22.04) and playing back a video in PiP I encountered some GPU artifacting. I clicked on the menu bar then clicked on the VM and the system froze for about 10 seconds, I pressed the power key, when I locked the system on the lock screen there were weird artifacts. Those artifacts happened only on the lock screen and were reproducible locking the screen again.

I couldn't record it but it was something similar to this (bit more subtle, only lines not blocks) but only on the left side of the screen https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/s18hek
After a reboot not I can't reproduce the issue, it seems like it went away. Can it be a problem with the GPU?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
I haven't even heard of UTM before now, so I don't know if the issue described was related to issues with the GPU itself or something with the VM itself that caused the issue. I have only run Windows 11 via Parallels on my M2 Max, and I haven't seen any issues such as what you described.

Blair110

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2020
Has it only happened with UTM, and was it the Lock Screen for Ubuntu within the VM? Did any of the artifacting occur outside of the VM? Sounds almost like a driver issue since it only occurred on the Lock Screen. Keep an eye on it or see if perhaps you can run a GPU stress test in the MacOS environment.
You also can download a program like stats to monitor your temps too.
Good luck!

bkdas0

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2023
Has it only happened with UTM, and was it the Lock Screen for Ubuntu within the VM? Did any of the artifacting occur outside of the VM? Sounds almost like a driver issue since it only occurred on the Lock Screen. Keep an eye on it or see if perhaps you can run a GPU stress test in the MacOS environment.
You also can download a program like stats to monitor your temps too.
Good luck!
It was the macos lock screen only, what do you recommend as a stress test?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.