Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mm511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Hi all I know this might seem a bit basic but I am a streamer looking to buy a M2 or M3 laptop as I am in need of a quiet powerful laptop. I can't seem to be able to find out if tiktok live studio works through parallels? I have seen some videos online of people being able to start the program but no visible proof of streaming, I've also read about audio not working. is there anyone here who can confirm if this is will work?

I am planning to connect my zve10 to the mac via usb c or capture cards, along with an elgato usb c mic, so I can stream while I travel. Would be really ideal to get a mac over windows for the silent use.

tiktok live studio is the tiktok version of OBS, and is only currently available on windows. it's also quiet resource hungry and makes my current laptop fans spin like crazy. Any advice would be welcome :)

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
Hi all I know this might seem a bit basic but I am a streamer looking to buy a M2 or M3 laptop as I am in need of a quiet powerful laptop. I can't seem to be able to find out if tiktok live studio works through parallels? I have seen some videos online of people being able to start the program but no visible proof of streaming, I've also read about audio not working. is there anyone here who can confirm if this is will work?

I am planning to connect my zve10 to the mac via usb c or capture cards, along with an elgato usb c mic, so I can stream while I travel. Would be really ideal to get a mac over windows for the silent use.

tiktok live studio is the tiktok version of OBS, and is only currently available on windows. it's also quiet resource hungry and makes my current laptop fans spin like crazy. Any advice would be welcome :)
I'd be real leery about depending on Windows in Parallels, as USB connections aren't that great. I don't have anywhere near the setup you have to test with -- I don't even have a Mic on my M2 Mini, nor a standalone Mic, so i can't really test it for you. The program runs and logs in to tiktok is about all I can say.

Reactions: wyrdness

mm511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
I'd be real leery about depending on Windows in Parallels, as USB connections aren't that great. I don't have anywhere near the setup you have to test with -- I don't even have a Mic on my M2 Mini, nor a standalone Mic, so i can't really test it for you. The program runs and logs in to tiktok is about all I can say.
So the app installs and runs? That's as much as I've seen else thank you so much. I guess I would be interested to know if you can use your webcam or any camera you have as an input in the actual live studio app?

mm511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
Yep!

I'm afraid not, no camera either. I can get one from work on Monday if you can wait.
That would be great and a mic test if possible. I'm really hoping to get back to mac although I'll still be using my windows PC for longer streams!

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
That would be great and a mic test if possible. I'm really hoping to get back to mac although I'll still be using my windows PC for longer streams!
I'll do the test monday night then, and yes, I'll test a Mic too. I use windows exclusively at work, but I have a couple of Mac's at home too for the difference. :)

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
I ran a test, not sure it's going to work for you.

The setup routine says the GPU and CPU are poor, though that could be because it doesn't understand being in a VM.

I had to plug a USB ethernet adapter in and direct it to the VM to get good network speed. If I just used the default parallels netorking, it was horrible, less than 1 Mb. With the seperate adaptor I got my full gigabit connection (25Mb upload).

You have to share the mic and video (it's all one device that I tested) from the Mac, rather than connecting the USB devices directly to the VM. It seemed to work okay for recording, but I didn't try anything live as I'm a looker, not a creator. :)

mm511

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
I ran a test, not sure it's going to work for you.

The setup routine says the GPU and CPU are poor, though that could be because it doesn't understand being in a VM.

I had to plug a USB ethernet adapter in and direct it to the VM to get good network speed. If I just used the default parallels netorking, it was horrible, less than 1 Mb. With the seperate adaptor I got my full gigabit connection (25Mb upload).

You have to share the mic and video (it's all one device that I tested) from the Mac, rather than connecting the USB devices directly to the VM. It seemed to work okay for recording, but I didn't try anything live as I'm a looker, not a creator. :)
Hey thank you so much. I had a feeling it doesn't work. Such a shame. I really need a whisper quiet laptop 😭😂

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
You're welcome. I didn't really prove it wouldn't work, but there definitely are concerns.

A Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon or X13 are pretty quiet, I never hear them, but I'd stick with an i7 or a Ryzen 7 CPU, they're more than fast enough, and the minimum RAM they come with is 16G. They're also a lot lighter than a Macbook Pro.

wyrdness

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2008
It sounds as if you're suggesting using the wrong tool for a job. If your use case is Windows software, then buy a Windows laptop.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hey thank you so much. I had a feeling it doesn't work. Such a shame. I really need a whisper quiet laptop 😭😂
A Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon or X13 are pretty quiet, I never hear them, but I'd stick with an i7 or a Ryzen 7 CPU, they're more than fast enough, and the minimum RAM they come with is 16G. They're also a lot lighter than a Macbook Pro.
Certainly a difficult find.

Speaking of Lenovo… If you can wait a few months (i.e., April):

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.