Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Canadia69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
I'm considering upgrading my 2019 15-inch MBP, as it's become very slow and the battery doesn't last more than 1 hour on light work. I'm torn between two models:

1. A refurbished (from Apple) 16-inch M2 Max with a 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32GB RAM, and 1TB storage for $3819 CAD.
  2. A 16-inch M3 Max with a 14-core CPU, 30-core GPU, 36GB RAM, and 1TB storage for $4250 CAD.
I plan to use this for work, mainly working through a remote session with light workloads, but I also want something I can use for personal projects. On my 2019 MBP, just running a phone emulator slows it down significantly, causing it to freeze up and become unusable. Are the extra 8 GPU cores worth it on the M2 Max, or is the 2 extra CPU cores and the 3nm architecture on the M3 Max more valuable? (plus the extra 4GB of RAM)

Also, I've never purchased a refurbished Apple product. Is the battery usually slightly more worn out since it has been used? Does anyone have personal experience with this?

Which option would you choose?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm considering upgrading my 2019 15-inch MBP, as it's become very slow and the battery doesn't last more than 1 hour on light work. I'm torn between two models:

1. A refurbished (from Apple) 16-inch M2 Max with a 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32GB RAM, and 1TB storage for $3819 CAD.
  2. A 16-inch M3 Max with a 14-core CPU, 30-core GPU, 36GB RAM, and 1TB storage for $4250 CAD.
I plan to use this for work, mainly working through a remote session with light workloads, but I also want something I can use for personal projects. On my 2019 MBP, just running a phone emulator slows it down significantly, causing it to freeze up and become unusable. Are the extra 8 GPU cores worth it on the M2 Max, or is the 2 extra CPU cores and the 3nm architecture on the M3 Max more valuable? (plus the extra 4GB of RAM)

Also, I've never purchased a refurbished Apple product. Is the battery usually slightly more worn out since it has been used? Does anyone have personal experience with this?

Which option would you choose?
Second question first. Apple refurbs are generally indistinguishable from new. They carry the same warranty and are eligible for the same AppleCare plans.

Now, first question. If you're doing things strictly via remote session, then a MacBook Air is all you really need, since virtually nothing is being done on the Mac's CPU and GPU. The new 15" M3 MacBook Airs released today may be all you require -- even if doing other things.

However, if you're wanting to do other work, you have to ask yourself is some extra speed going to make up the difference in price. The M3 Max will be noticeably faster than the M2 Max, but only you can determine how important that is. If shaving 25 seconds off a video export is going to earn you extra dollars, then it might be worth it. If it's just for a hobby or low-volume work, then you might appreciate the savings going back into your bank account moreso than a few minutes each day of time saved.

If you're doing iPhone app development, I suspect that the GPU isn't going to play much of a role; the M2 Max already has a faster GPU than found in any iPhone or iPad.

I have an M3 Max 14/30-core machine, upgraded from an M1 Pro, but much of the upgrade was motivated by more RAM and ability to connect a 3rd external display, rather than a substantial need for more raw CPU/GPU performance.

However, all that said, for only a $400 difference, I personally would go with the M3 Max. If we were talking $800-$1000 difference, that might push me the other way.

Reactions: Canadia69

Canadia69

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Second question first. Apple refurbs are generally indistinguishable from new. They carry the same warranty and are eligible for the same AppleCare plans.

Now, first question. If you're doing things strictly via remote session, then a MacBook Air is all you really need, since virtually nothing is being done on the Mac's CPU and GPU. The new 15" M3 MacBook Airs released today may be all you require -- even if doing other things.

However, if you're wanting to do other work, you have to ask yourself is some extra speed going to make up the difference in price. The M3 Max will be noticeably faster than the M2 Max, but only you can determine how important that is. If shaving 25 seconds off a video export is going to earn you extra dollars, then it might be worth it. If it's just for a hobby or low-volume work, then you might appreciate the savings going back into your bank account moreso than a few minutes each day of time saved.

If you're doing iPhone app development, I suspect that the GPU isn't going to play much of a role; the M2 Max already has a faster GPU than found in any iPhone or iPad.

I have an M3 Max 14/30-core machine, upgraded from an M1 Pro, but much of the upgrade was motivated by more RAM and ability to connect a 3rd external display, rather than a substantial need for more raw CPU/GPU performance.

However, all that said, for only a $400 difference, I personally would go with the M3 Max. If we were talking $800-$1000 difference, that might push me the other way.

Thanks for the reply.

And Im leaning more M3 MAx as well, I plan on keeping it for at least 3-4 years so as you said a 400$ is a small increase for a brighter screen, faster cpu and an extra 4gb of ram.

djgcue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
+1, for $400 more get the new M3 Pro Max over a refurb.

Reactions: Canadia69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.