Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
HAs anyone tried to play various YouTube videos on new MBA and if so does it heat up? If you have numerous tabs open like stock ticker tabs where numbers are constantly flashing and changing with video playing on YouTube or perhaps from a Bloomberg news on trading platform does it slow down or bog down..?

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I’ve played down of YouTube on Safari, and have had zero problems. That should never, ever be a reason for a device to heat up.

I’ve tested two 4K YT streams at once, one PiP and one in a tab, with Slack, Tweetbot, other Safari tabs in the background, and Pixelmater Pro all open at the same time… and zero issues across the board.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
HAs anyone tried to play various YouTube videos on new MBA and if so does it heat up? If you have numerous tabs open like stock ticker tabs where numbers are constantly flashing and changing with video playing on YouTube or perhaps from a Bloomberg news on trading platform does it slow down or bog down..?
Oh geez… This is what I hate about YouTube reviewers that use clickbait and fear mongering. You’re legitimately asking this question and I understand it but it’s completely ridiculous. Not ridiculous of you but ridiculous that “content creators” with a large viewer base are irresponsible and cause people to think this way and worry about stuff like this.

I’ve watched hours and hours of YouTube videos on Safari and Firefox. This is one of my main uses for my M2 Air. It stays cold…. I’ve watched movies on Amazon prime in Safari. It stays cold.

There are two cases use cases that I will tell you don’t buy a MacBook Air. One is video editing as in that’s your job and the second is gaming. I don’t mean you can’t edit some movie you made of your family but if that’s what you do for work then it’s not the right laptop for you.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It will definitely have a lot of slow down and overheating for those tasks. Should look for a windows laptop man, forget the MacBook air
I hear if you try to watch two 4K YouTube videos at the same time it catches fire in 8K 😂

Disclaimer: This is a joke if it’s not obvious 🤦‍♂️😂

Reactions: chabig

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
There is a heating issue but only under very certain conditions. The OP is going to have zero issues IMO. I would def not get the 256gb HD or the 10core. Get 8core with decent HD and you hit the sweet spot on this pretty fantastic machine.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
It will definitely have a lot of slow down and overheating for those tasks. Should look for a windows laptop man, forget the MacBook air
I know on Windows laptops you open up Chrome or IE and start watching a video on YouTube and the fans start spinning and the laptop starts heating up.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Oh geez… This is what I hate about YouTube reviewers that use clickbait and fear mongering. You’re legitimately asking this question and I understand it but it’s completely ridiculous. Not ridiculous of you but ridiculous that “content creators” with a large viewer base are irresponsible and cause people to think this way and worry about stuff like this.

I’ve watched hours and hours of YouTube videos on Safari and Firefox. This is one of my main uses for my M2 Air. It stays cold…. I’ve watched movies on Amazon prime in Safari. It stays cold.

There are two cases use cases that I will tell you don’t buy a MacBook Air. One is video editing as in that’s your job and the second is gaming. I don’t mean you can’t edit some movie you made of your family but if that’s what you do for work then it’s not the right laptop for you.
On windows based laptops even on a well specs Thinkpad X1 Carbon you open a browser app like IE or Chrome,open YouTube and start watching a 4K video and them fans start spinning like crazy..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.